Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner seat worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 07:43 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At first I was a little concerned with the thinkness of the Sundowner taking away from the looks of the bike. After seeing the Mustang OOORAH posted, I can see that thickness for a touring-style seat probably isn't going to vary much. So.....since the Sundowner has the Spanish lacing and studs like the stocker, that's probably the route I'll take.

BTW, tmitchellof PG, that SE Fat Boy is f'ing killer. How do you like the Ripsaws?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:02 AM
jknowlton
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have deep bucket sundowner..world of difference..on comfort for myself and for my passenger.

And also, world of difference on the look...If I dont have backrest on, its and eye sore, but extremely comfortable. For solo rides, sometimes i switch back to the stock seat, but then i feel the hard ness and pain that makes me hate it, lol.

1inch lower than stock and 1inch forward i believe.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I put the stock Badlander back on my bike a few weeks ago, and after one 150 mile ride put the Sundowner back on. It may not be the best looking seat, but it is way more comfortable than the Badlander.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
jknowlton
Road Master

Originally Posted by rthomp159
I put the stock Badlander back on my bike a few weeks ago, and after one 150 mile ride put the Sundowner back on. It may not be the best looking seat, but it is way more comfortable than the Badlander.
I did the same thing, after a 8 mile ride into work, i was like, damn the badlander sucks! lol

Old 11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

I have had the Sundowner on the sportster and would have gotton on the 07 fatboy but they dont have one for it so i went to mustang and wow.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:41 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07fat_boy
At first I was a little concerned with the thinkness of the Sundowner taking away from the looks of the bike. After seeing the Mustang OOORAH posted, I can see that thickness for a touring-style seat probably isn't going to vary much. So.....since the Sundowner has the Spanish lacing and studs like the stocker, that's probably the route I'll take.

BTW, tmitchellof PG, that SE Fat Boy is f'ing killer. How do you like the Ripsaws?
Mine are the original model Rip Saws, which are basically drag pipes. They don't have baffles. They sound great,but are real loud. The fit,finish and performance is excellent. There are power cones installed at the header end.
Tom

Old 11-04-2008, 11:18 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rthomp159
I dont worry about looks as my fat *** covers the seat when i am riding

Old 11-05-2008, 08:48 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jknowlton
I have deep bucket sundowner..world of difference..on comfort for myself and for my passenger.

And also, world of difference on the look...If I dont have backrest on, its and eye sore, but extremely comfortable. For solo rides, sometimes i switch back to the stock seat, but then i feel the hard ness and pain that makes me hate it, lol.

1inch lower than stock and 1inch forward i believe.
It definitely moves you forward. I was a little disappointed about that aspect since I specifically asked the dealer which seat I should get to be moved a little further away from the controls since I'm almost 6'2" and feel a little cramped on the bike at times. The guy assured me that the Sundowner was the seat for me. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the comfort, but it has rendered the heel part of the heel-toe shifter worthless. It's now a totally unnatural movement to kick it down. I guess I'll either be putting on some forward controls or some pegs for high way riding and removing the heel part of the shifter.

Aside from being a little mislead on the new riding position, I'm 100% happy with the seat and I recommend it. Just be aware that it does move you a little further forward.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:17 AM
jknowlton
Road Master

Originally Posted by 07fat_boy
It definitely moves you forward. I was a little disappointed about that aspect since I specifically asked the dealer which seat I should get to be moved a little further away from the controls since I'm almost 6'2" and feel a little cramped on the bike at times. The guy assured me that the Sundowner was the seat for me. Anyway, I'm very pleased with the comfort, but it has rendered the heel part of the heel-toe shifter worthless. It's now a totally unnatural movement to kick it down. I guess I'll either be putting on some forward controls or some pegs for high way riding and removing the heel part of the shifter.

Aside from being a little mislead on the new riding position, I'm 100% happy with the seat and I recommend it. Just be aware that it does move you a little further forward.
I feel the pain, im 6-4, and love the comfort, but hate how it moves me up a little, although moves you down about an inch which i liked.

The following users liked this post:
dports70 (06-11-2017)
Old 11-05-2008, 09:28 AM
cweiss
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently bought a sundowner for my 08 Night train, both myself and the g/f love it. Very comfy on rides where with the stocker we both had complaints.

Quick Reply: Sundowner seat worth it?