Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Dust on the Rocker Mag

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 08:36 PM
robo01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Dust on the Rocker Mag

Don't know if it has happened to anyone else or not but I finally figured out that it ain't from the brake pads. If you jack it up and spin the back tire, you'll hear the faint sound of rubber on rubber.

If you slide your hand up between the tire and the inside of the rear fender you'll feel that the rubber "cableway," that protects the wires from the plastic conduit from the bottom from of the fender to the brake/blinker lights, is actually laying on the tire. The black dust is just the cableway being ground to powder by the rear tire.

I caught it before it actually rubbed through. All I did was remove the fender (four bolts and unplug the brake/blinker lights) clean it, and the cableway up, apply "Gorilla Glue" as directed, weighed it down so it bonded to the fender, let it dry good (2 hrs) and reinstalled the fender.

I checked to make sure that the glue didn't kick-off some chemical reaction and screw up the paint on the topside before I wrote this so I wouldn't mess up anyone else's bike.

I guess it's possible that I have the only Rocker C that didn't get it's fair share of fender cable raceway glue but I thought I'd let someone else know just in case......

Old 12-16-2008, 09:58 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanls for the heads up...will let others I know know about it...I have the heartland on now but they don't

Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 AM
5speedblu
Road Captain

Thanks for the heads up !!!
I have a roc, do not have that problem yet I think but I will check it often.

What made you decide it was not brake dust?

And sorry to say that gorilla glue will eventually fail.

Here’s why;
In order to glue a non porous surface to a porous surface.
Or 2 non porous surfaces together you need a cohesive bond.

Example; when you fold a bumper sticker to it self you stick 2 surfaces together = cohesive bond. you will not get them apart.

Take the same sticker & stick it to a bumper = non-cohesive bond & they will come apart, you may have to scrape it off & ruin it but it will come apart.

That’s why when you glue 2 pieces of wood together you put glue on both pieces.
Totally irrelevant but cheap furniture & building products are glued non cohesively.

Anywayz you will need glue that will stick to many surfaces & does not require cohesive bonding and that will not reach the hard tinsel strength of gorilla glue

we will save the lesson of tinsel strength but think of spark plug one of the strongest porcelain coats on a part.
but when stressed enough they will crack because the atoms when stressed break apart instead of sticking together.

A different type of polyurethane glue will work better.
It is called PL construction adhesive and the tube is yellow/orange & black it comes in a 10oz caulk tube only.

It needs 2 surfaces to bond (if you glue it to one it won’t stick)
But it has the same tinsel strength as metal (the atoms want to stay together when stressed and they flex)

The only reason metal fails is because of heat, ever break a coat hanger by bending it over and over again?

Make sure every thing is clean and glue it up with something holding pressure over night and don’t get it on your skin it takes a week to wear off.

Sorry for the babbling it is late & once I get started I can’t stop. LOL

Old 12-17-2008, 05:17 AM
robo01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tomhummer
thanls for the heads up...will let others I know know about it...I have the heartland on now but they don't
thanx for checking the post out. I have been thinking about going "Heartland." I just wish I could keep the original fender. I think HD did a great job on the paint (I've got the same color you do) but I don't know if I could find someone in my area (Mobile/Pascagoula Miss) that could match it.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 AM
robo01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 5speedblu
Thanks for the heads up !!!
I have a roc, do not have that problem yet I think but I will check it often.

What made you decide it was not brake dust?

And sorry to say that gorilla glue will eventually fail.

Here’s why;
In order to glue a non porous surface to a porous surface.
Or 2 non porous surfaces together you need a cohesive bond.

Example; when you fold a bumper sticker to it self you stick 2 surfaces together = cohesive bond. you will not get them apart.

Take the same sticker & stick it to a bumper = non-cohesive bond & they will come apart, you may have to scrape it off & ruin it but it will come apart.

That’s why when you glue 2 pieces of wood together you put glue on both pieces.
Totally irrelevant but cheap furniture & building products are glued non cohesively.

Anywayz you will need glue that will stick to many surfaces & does not require cohesive bonding and that will not reach the hard tinsel strength of gorilla glue

we will save the lesson of tinsel strength but think of spark plug one of the strongest porcelain coats on a part.
but when stressed enough they will crack because the atoms when stressed break apart instead of sticking together.

A different type of polyurethane glue will work better.
It is called PL construction adhesive and the tube is yellow/orange & black it comes in a 10oz caulk tube only.

It needs 2 surfaces to bond (if you glue it to one it won’t stick)
But it has the same tinsel strength as metal (the atoms want to stay together when stressed and they flex)

The only reason metal fails is because of heat, ever break a coat hanger by bending it over and over again?

Make sure every thing is clean and glue it up with something holding pressure over night and don’t get it on your skin it takes a week to wear off.

Sorry for the babbling it is late & once I get started I can’t stop. LOL
At first I thought it was brake dust but on closer inspection it was way too black. When I wiped it with a rag it wasn't as dry and it felt more like graphite.

Thanx for the feedback on the adhesive I used. I had used the Gorilla in a couple of other similar applications and they were still holding (I'm probably just lucky for now). I will keep and eye (and an ear) out for the raceway rubbing again and I'll use the PL Construction Adhesive to re-attach when it happens.

I have used the PL in reconstructing my home after Katrina so I know it's great stuff.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:02 AM
fastcash0523
Cruiser

This is interesting. I now wonder if this is why I am going to have to replace the license plate light on my Rocker for the second time. I will be checking this. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails Black Dust on the Rocker Mag-img_0124.jpg  
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 AM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

yeah, my cables were doing the same thing. they were sagging but didn't actually touch the wheel.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:27 PM
gadawgsfan
Cruiser

MAN, 5speedblu, that made my brain hurt while reading your post, lol. also very good to know
thanks for the heads up fastcash and thanks 5speedblu for the chemistry lesson

Old 12-18-2008, 10:25 AM
RockinRocker
3rd Gear

Hi Tom and Robo,

Do u guys have custom seats and fenders? I love the look of the seat that looks flush with the fender...

Old 12-18-2008, 06:23 PM
burg54
Cruiser
Thumbs up

Interesting stuff...thanks for the education/info!

Quick Reply: Black Dust on the Rocker Mag