Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In need of opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 08:29 AM
steamfitter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In need of opinions

I have a 2003 Fatboy anniv model. I am going to get my tank repainted to fix the previous owners mistake (scratched by a ratchet strap) The idea I am toying with is having the anniv stripe painted over. I have looked at the prices of these bikes on Ebay and other sites and it doen't appear that they bring anymore money than any other Fatboy. If I do this I will have the front and rear fender painted as well. I ran this by the OL and she says "that's stupid", my bad for asking. I think it would really make the bike look cleaner without the stripes. I will be painting it vivid black. What are your thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:38 AM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're on the right track!

Old 02-04-2009, 08:40 AM
ElectricRocker
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Its your bike, but if your going to have it painted why not have a 1 off paint scheme but this is only my opinion, you can take that and a dollar and buy a cup of coffee

TJ

Old 02-04-2009, 08:41 AM
60mike06FLHX
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Do what you want, the Anniversary set is nothing special and no added value, maybe in 50 years, enjoy your bike. MHO

Old 02-04-2009, 08:49 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yup, do what you want. No harm, no foul. One day, my Duracel will be all vivid Black and I will feel like I have a new bike.

Any of the anniversary models will be a hard sell in their own category because of our recent economy. Maybe one day I'll get one of the CVO models. I think they stand-out more and may re-sell different against stock models.

Good luck.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
bloomington g
Road Captain

Originally Posted by steamfitter
I have a 2003 Fatboy anniv model. I am going to get my tank repainted to fix the previous owners mistake (scratched by a ratchet strap) The idea I am toying with is having the anniv stripe painted over. I have looked at the prices of these bikes on Ebay and other sites and it doen't appear that they bring anymore money than any other Fatboy. If I do this I will have the front and rear fender painted as well. I ran this by the OL and she says "that's stupid", my bad for asking. I think it would really make the bike look cleaner without the stripes. I will be painting it vivid black. What are your thoughts or ideas? Thanks.

Thus far, the only 100 anniversary parts that appear to bring any money are the tank badges. Just a thought, if you are concerned for any reason about keeping the anniversary paint set intact, do what one of the other posters recommended... find a set of tins (have them painted as a one off) to replace them, and put the anniversary ones away in a box.

Tin sets for softails are readily available used.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1. If you look at classic cars, in terms of value the more original the higher the value.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 AM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the more original makes the most sense

Old 02-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Swamp-Rat
Tourer

My Motto: If it aint black and loud it aint.
You gotta please yourself. It oughta be a song in that sentence.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Swamp-Rat
Tourer

Oh, Steamfitter, you belong to a local??????? I traveled a little fitting that pipe.......Run a lot of it.......

Quick Reply: In need of opinions