Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Engine(?) noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 07:55 AM
Tom_07Heritage
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, got my bike back a few days ago, brakes fixed under warranty. When I dropped the bike off I included a copy of this thread. When I picked the bike up the service manager told me that they went ahead and removed my primary cover and inspected the compensator sprocket and found nothing wrong. He also told me that I would be wasting my money by installing the SE unit and that the starter bang is completely harmless. Hmmm, how may auto manufacturers would get away with this. The company knows that we will take whatever it throws at us. But, that is another subject for another time.
I wasn't present during the inspection of the sprocket but I did notice that a primary gasket, Formula+ oil, and five panhead screws are listed on the invoice, all covered by warranty. There is also a note stating that the compensator sprocket was checked and "ok at this time".
I don't know what else to do except ride 'er till she blows.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Tom

Last edited by Tom_07Heritage; 02-15-2009 at 08:02 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:07 AM
JayDee5150
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ride her till she fails...that's what I would do too.

If you have plenty of warranty left, then you really got no worries.

Is the bike still making the same noises even after the last dealer warranty service?

Old 02-16-2009, 11:54 AM
Fat Boy 07
Advanced

Sounds like I would get about 2 or 3 more opinions from other dealers. They probably know you are close to the warranty ending so they will wait and hope it breaks later so you have to pay them a lot more after your warranty is up....

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom_07Heritage
OK, got my bike back a few days ago, brakes fixed under warranty. When I dropped the bike off I included a copy of this thread. When I picked the bike up the service manager told me that they went ahead and removed my primary cover and inspected the compensator sprocket and found nothing wrong. He also told me that I would be wasting my money by installing the SE unit and that the starter bang is completely harmless. Hmmm, how may auto manufacturers would get away with this. The company knows that we will take whatever it throws at us. But, that is another subject for another time.
I wasn't present during the inspection of the sprocket but I did notice that a primary gasket, Formula+ oil, and five panhead screws are listed on the invoice, all covered by warranty. There is also a note stating that the compensator sprocket was checked and "ok at this time".
I don't know what else to do except ride 'er till she blows.
Thanks again for all of the help.
Tom
Well, doesn't that just suck. So, what was the spring pack preload on the comp. I bet they don't even know as removal is necessary to determine this. If it is not enough it will make noise. Secondly, I don't see how smashing the cam and springs into the face of the rotor is harmless which is starter knock. Eventually it pounds the back of the rotor into the spacer compressing it and taking away the torque from the bolt. Rotor moves on the splines, extension shaft moves on the crank etc. The big twin comp is definately not a waist of money. A lot more benifits than just taking the starter knock out. Of course, no dealer would admit to any of the above
Ron

Last edited by rbabos; 02-16-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Atrain
Intermediate

Good point..

Old 02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Tom; I am just picking up on the compensator issue, On my 07 Heritage I have had the bang at starting since new. The dealer at the 5k tune up said all 07's do it.
They started putting in the formula + (5k) in the prim and tranny as they said per HD. now at 17 k either I have gotten used to it or the noise has gotten better, is only at start up. I dont have it at any other time,, I will listen more this spring, as I don't have extra warranty YET..
My sons 07 Deuce does the same thing at start up.;
Any other input from others that have problem would be helpful to the rest of us...

Thanks Grandpa (BIG) Tom

Old 02-16-2009, 10:29 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

wasn't present during the inspection of the sprocket but I did notice that a primary gasket, Formula+ oil, and five panhead screws are listed on the invoice, all covered by warranty.

I find this rather odd. The HD warranty does not pay for parts when a problem is NOT found. Usually, if a customer insists, the bike will be opened up, if there is a defect, it will be covered under warranty. If no defect is found, the customer pays for parts and labor.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:17 AM
Gon2far
Stage IV
Default 07 Heritage vibration

I've had a vibration in my 07 Heritage since it was new and I brought it into three different dealers five different times. They all told me everythings normal. I had a sales manager take my bike for the weekend and ride it for two hours. He told me the bike does vibrate excessivelly and than I had his service department tell me everythings normal and they could'nt find anything wrong. Thats when I realized my HD warranty and HD service was worthless. At highway speeds 65-75mph the bike will shake your eyes lose and rattle your teeth. One of the many thinks I was looking into was the compensator. However I was waiting for Balance Masters new one for my year softail to come out and did'nt even know there was an HD SE compensator. Did someone say the SE compensator would'nt fit the 07 Heritage.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Tom_07Heritage
Intermediate

I picked my bike up after having the rear brake caliper rebuilt and while talking to the service rep he told me that the mechanic removed my primary cover and checked the compensator sprocket. I think that was because I included a printout of this thread when I dropped the bike off.
Anyway, he claimed that my compensator was tight and showed no sign of any problem. He also informed me that I would be wasting my money on a SE compensator as there is nothing wrong with the design of the original. (insert boos and hisses here).
I guess I'll just ride 'er till she blows, then I'll know what's going on.
Thanks again for all the help.
Tom

Old 02-17-2009, 07:31 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is the 08 Comp any better or as I would expect the same as the 07? Same engine if I'm not mistaken on the 07 & 08...96B?

Thanks,
Clay

Quick Reply: Heritage Engine(?) noise