Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Families - Unlock The Mystery.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 06:27 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,211 Likes on 461 Posts

Any 21 inch wheel will work as long as it is fitted with bearings that will accept the correct diameter axle. After that, spacers may have to be fabricated to center the wheel. And of course the hub will need provisions to mount the brake rotor.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

As far as I know, the forks are interchangeable between FX and FL "Springer" models. As previously noted, apparent rake differences are probably optical illusion due to different tire. You can probably use raked cups with your bike to stick the fork out. As far a a different wheel, probably the cheapest and easiest (besides being old school) is to lace up an 18" or 21" to your existing hub. If you buy a new wheel, it should just be a matter of getting the spacers right.

Good luck , anxious to see the results.

Old 05-21-2009, 06:39 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking the FL Springer is just the FX Springer put on a different frame. The FX was the original modern Springer, IIRC introduced on the Springer Softail around 1988. The Heritage Springer used the same springer IIRC.

The FX frames are enough different that they don't adapt readily to footboards. That's all the further my research went.

The Springer is a great riding bike, I can tell you that.

Last edited by BigGdawg; 05-21-2009 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkpawlowski
I think the differences in fork angle,with the resultant difference is trail, is done due to the difference in tire profiles. The profile would affect the quickness of turning and subsequent restoring force to straight ahead.
I am curious about what you mean by profile? To me if the tires are the same overall diameter the axel will be in the same location on both bikes. I would think it would be of no consiquence how large the wheel was or what sort of profile the tire had. However that being said I still can't explain the difference in trail and fork angle between the 2008 FX and FL springer. I am currently thinking it has something to do with the rockers.

Thanks for the responce.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:25 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by pococj
Any 21 inch wheel will work as long as it is fitted with bearings that will accept the correct diameter axle. After that, spacers may have to be fabricated to center the wheel. And of course the hub will need provisions to mount the brake rotor.
Thanks thats some good information, I'll add it to my original post. I wonder why the HD Parts appears to omit 08 and later Springer Models from all there wheel fitment descriptions?

Old 05-21-2009, 07:32 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
As far as I know, the forks are interchangeable between FX and FL "Springer" models. As previously noted, apparent rake differences are probably optical illusion due to different tire. You can probably use raked cups with your bike to stick the fork out. As far a a different wheel, probably the cheapest and easiest (besides being old school) is to lace up an 18" or 21" to your existing hub. If you buy a new wheel, it should just be a matter of getting the spacers right.

Good luck , anxious to see the results.
I'm not looking for extreme rake, I was looking at an older FX the other day and really liked the fork angle so harley FX stock I think would be fine, just trying to figure out how to get their from here. As for the wheel, I never thought of that. I'm sure that would help me garauntee fitment. Ever laced a wheel yourself? I think I saw the proceedure in my manual. I'll check it out thanks.

Old 05-21-2009, 07:36 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by BigG2009FLHRC
I'm thinking the FL Springer is just the FX Springer put on a different frame. The FX was the original modern Springer, IIRC introduced on the Springer Softail around 1988. The Heritage Springer used the same springer IIRC.

The FX frames are enough different that they don't adapt readily to footboards. That's all the further my research went.

The Springer is a great riding bike, I can tell you that.
I really think the frames are the same, perhaps they where different on earlier versions of the bike but I have a strong suspision that anything at least post 2000 (I think that was the year of the new softail frame) will sit on the same frame (except the rocker).

I am begining to beleive that the fork assembly is the same and perhaps just the rockers are different...?

Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
I'm not looking for extreme rake, I was looking at an older FX the other day and really liked the fork angle so harley FX stock I think would be fine, just trying to figure out how to get their from here. As for the wheel, I never thought of that. I'm sure that would help me garauntee fitment. Ever laced a wheel yourself? I think I saw the proceedure in my manual. I'll check it out thanks.
Dozens of times. Lacing is a piece of cake. Back "in the day" when everybody wanted a 16" wheel, lacing one up was a pleasant way to spend an evening and make $10.

The lacing is not the hard part. Check the angle of the existing spokes so you'll know the inner from the outer ones. It really will only go together one way, although on occasion I've seen them off by a hole and guys trying to figure out why the last few spokes just won;t fit.

The harder part is truing the wheel. There are truing stands available, but we used to do it with a crude stand made from a couple of pieces of 2" x 4" and the axle. If you get it close, there is probably a shop that specializes in dirt bikes near you that can finish it off for not much $.

Old 05-21-2009, 09:41 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 48 Posts

Frames are all the same.....

Rake is in the trees, or in the rockers.

The springer front end is also the same.

As said before

FL= 16" front wheel.
FX= 18 or 21" wheel.

Getting a wheel to fit is all about using the proper spacing..

Old 05-21-2009, 09:45 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The FX Springer I had (2000) had quite a bit more rake than a newer springer like a Rocker or a Heritage. What was different is a mystery to me but the boards were not available to fit the FX frame. I checked.

Quick Reply: Springer Families - Unlock The Mystery.