Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding the front brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Along with kits proposed here there are reverse bleeder kits that push fluid up through the bleeder valve toward the master cylinder. Going that way you push the air up where it naturally wants to go.

I made my own from a piece of flex tubing and a pump oil can. I think it cost $5 total. Only took 10-15 minutes tops.

Whatever method you use, if you spend more than 5-10 minutes without a change in lever pressure you have a problem and need to reassess.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:20 PM
tmd442
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Reverse bleeding is the way to go, Took me 5 minutes.
Large Hypodermic w/ Plastic flex tubing attached to the bleeder.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:25 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Easy way for me would be to open the bleeder and don't do anything wait for gravity to do its job once I see brake fluid dribbling out I tighten and then do the pump hold bleed works every time. keeps the air from forming bubbles.......anyway????????? guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. oops hope no one here is with aspca

Old 08-02-2009, 06:37 PM
128auto
Extreme HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

I have tried many different methods, gravity bleed is the best way to go unless you have a speed bleeder, many auto parts stores sell one way check valve bleeder that works very well. I have a fluid vac at work, bleeding is a piece of cake.
Try this is you don't have anything.
1. Top up the fluid
2. Crack the bleeder screw open
3. Hold the brake lever slowly
4. Close the bleeder screw
5. Let the brake lever return
6. Back to step 2 and repeat until you get a firm grip.
Good luck!

Old 08-02-2009, 06:51 PM
moosh
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tmd442
Reverse bleeding is the way to go, Took me 5 minutes.
Large Hypodermic w/ Plastic flex tubing attached to the bleeder.
+1
or a sqeezable ketchup bottle with spout and flex tubing, blow brake fluid back through and out the master cylinder ...been doing it for years and it never fails...ever

Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 AM
BigJerm7
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teamstersteward
Easy way for me would be to open the bleeder and don't do anything wait for gravity to do its job once I see brake fluid dribbling out I tighten and then do the pump hold bleed works every time. keeps the air from forming bubbles.......anyway????????? guess there is more than one way to skin a cat. oops hope no one here is with aspca
tried this last night cuz it was late, i didn't have any tubing, and all my kids were in bed and i wasn't about to drag them out. i just opened up the bleeder and let gravity force all the bubbles out. i was quite surprised how well it worked. let it flow for a good 10-15 seconds. then went back to open, squeeze, close, release. started working immediately. if you don't have tubing or access to a vac, just open the bleeder and let gravity do it. it was messy, but i cleaned it all up pretty well.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,247 Likes on 5,408 Posts

Originally Posted by bensonjv
Along with kits proposed here there are reverse bleeder kits that push fluid up through the bleeder valve toward the master cylinder. Going that way you push the air up where it naturally wants to go.

I made my own from a piece of flex tubing and a pump oil can. I think it cost $5 total. Only took 10-15 minutes tops.

Whatever method you use, if you spend more than 5-10 minutes without a change in lever pressure you have a problem and need to reassess.
Oil can beats every other method hands down. I have a Mighty Vac and don't use it for brakes because the oil can works so much better.
  1. Put teflon tape on bleeder screw threads
  2. Install bleeder screw and leave open 1/4 turn
  3. Take oil can and pump brake fluid thru bleeder screw
  4. Close bleeder screw
  5. Drink beer...your done