Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem Bleeding New Brake Lines!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 01:08 PM
gliderman
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem Bleeding New Brake Lines!!!

Put the Goodridge SS Brake lines on my bike over the weekend ( 06' Street Glide). I have used this setup on my last 3 bikes without a problem. All was going good with the install. I bled the system from the calipers up by attaching a big syringe to the bleeder valve. Well, all was well until I noticed I had a bad crush washer at the chrome brake tee under the forks and brake fluid was leaking out pretty bad. So off to the shop for new crush washers. Replaced crush washers on double banjo side of brake tee. Now, I was able to get a lot of air bubbles out of the lines, but I still cannot get it right. I have front brakes, but I can easily pull the brake lever all the way back to the handgrip. When I open the bleeder valves, nothing but fluid comes out, no air bubbles?? If I pump the brake lever I can feel pressure build-up. I would appreciate any help on getting the system right. Thanks........

Old 04-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Howler
Road Captain
Default RE: Problem Bleeding New Brake Lines!!!

do you have someone pumping them up and holding it down without releaseing the handle until you bleed then close the pit ****? you could have an air pocket up by the handle

Old 04-09-2006, 01:30 PM
KBES BAGGER
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gliderman

Put the Goodridge SS Brake lines on my bike over the weekend ( 06' Street Glide). I have used this setup on my last 3 bikes without a problem. All was going good with the install. I bled the system from the calipers up by attaching a big syringe to the bleeder valve. Well, all was well until I noticed I had a bad crush washer at the chrome brake tee under the forks and brake fluid was leaking out pretty bad. So off to the shop for new crush washers. Replaced crush washers on double banjo side of brake tee. Now, I was able to get a lot of air bubbles out of the lines, but I still cannot get it right. I have front brakes, but I can easily pull the brake lever all the way back to the handgrip. When I open the bleeder valves, nothing but fluid comes out, no air bubbles?? If I pump the brake lever I can feel pressure build-up. I would appreciate any help on getting the system right. Thanks........
Go to the DIY section there is a good tip on how to take care of this. Pretty much tie your lever back for the night, come morning you are good to go. It worked for me on the King and I **** load of line to bleed.

KB

Old 04-09-2006, 01:41 PM
gliderman
Road Captain

KB: thanks for the referral to the DIY section. Only thing I'm not sure about after reading the procedure is if you leave off the master cylinder cover overnight?

Old 04-09-2006, 02:20 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

air in the master perhaps

Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mighty Vac...

Old 07-23-2009, 09:15 PM
JamesJBurrows
Stage I

How do I bleed back brake of 2006 Street Glide

Old 07-24-2009, 03:56 AM
galtjunk
Stellar HDF Member
Received 288 Likes on 154 Posts

Install the bleeders with the one way valve built into them. They make one man bleeding a breeze.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:51 AM
hdfat2001
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JamesJBurrows
How do I bleed back brake of 2006 Street Glide
Backs are easy. Either Mity Vac, or just press the lever down, open the bleeder to a hose in a comtainer with a little fluid in it. close bleeder and repeat.

On the fronts +1 on tying the lever down over night. I use a tie wrap and just let it sit the pressure brings the remaining bubbles up to the MC. If that doesn;t work keep looking for any loose connections at the T or the banjos.