Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firehouse customs Backrest for Deluxe.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 05:05 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by netvampire
I know what your saying about springy,i too was a little concerned about fitment. as the plate dont seem to but up against the back seat like the version on there heritage model. so there is a little bit of spring to it.I rold up a little bit of auto carpet to fill the gap. was a little concerned it would take my mounting bolts through the guard. Did email them with pics, and was told that is how they fit and would be fine like that.
Yes, the same backrest worked great on my Heritage. As you said the pillion provides support for it. And I found that it moved me forward about 1/2"-1".

Seemed like a great idea since I didn't have to drop $$$ on a Mustang seat/backrest. But then I went on some longer runs where I found getting pushed forward onto the seat horn made for some discomfort. And if I tried to scoot back against the backrest I got a lower backache.

Might not be an issue for some, it was for me. So now I have the whole Mustang adjustable setup. No more horn problem since the Mustang puts me back more. Still having issues finding a comfortable backrest position.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:02 AM
onionfmr
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Tried one on the wife's Deluxe and she didn't care for it. She was looking for something that would bring her forward a bit and the FH one does just the opposite. Seems leaned back too far and too springy. I put a piece of rubber between it and the grab bar and it did help with the support but she still didn't care for it. It's not adjustable.
+1 on above comment. I put one one and didn't care for it at all. Way too springy!!!! The more that I rode, the springier (spelling?) it seemed to get and the pad was too hard. Didn't work for me, but I'm sure it might work for others.

I ended up getting a HD Heritage springer seat rail off eBay and the HD backrest pad. Added a spacer to adjust the angle and now works well!

Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 AM
jakejohn
Cruiser

Do you happen to have pics of the Springer seat rail w/pad.Any ideas what the part #'s are. Have been thinking about that combo but not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 AM
PewterHeritage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got their backrest on my Heritage...LOVE IT!!! Just looking for a nice comfy engine guard/highway peg set up and it will be like riding a recliner down the highway.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:43 AM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by PewterHeritage
I got their backrest on my Heritage...LOVE IT!!! Just looking for a nice comfy engine guard/highway peg set up and it will be like riding a recliner down the highway.
What does it look like if you remove the passenger pillion? Would it look like the backrest is hanging in the air?

Old 08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
What does it look like if you remove the passenger pillion? Would it look like the backrest is hanging in the air?
When I had that setup on my Heritage I didn't think it looked right. The Mustang backrest which slides into the seat itself looks great sans pillion.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:13 PM
Softail Girl
Road Master

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
When I had that setup on my Heritage I didn't think it looked right. The Mustang backrest which slides into the seat itself looks great sans pillion.
Thanks jimmers. Geez, every time you buy something for your Heritage, you might as well PM me the part number and I will order it too!!!!! I always seem to be a step or two behind you.

I'm not quite ready to spend the $500 on the Mustang seat just yet. I'm looking for a deal !

Old 08-10-2009, 02:47 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Softail Girl
Thanks jimmers. Geez, every time you buy something for your Heritage, you might as well PM me the part number and I will order it too!!!!! I always seem to be a step or two behind you.

I'm not quite ready to spend the $500 on the Mustang seat just yet. I'm looking for a deal !
I have to say the bike does look good with the seat and bib. I picked up the whole setup at their booth in Americade. NO discounts which put it $800. Didn't really need the pillion since the wife rarely rides with me.

Good luck with your shopping, there are some decent used buys from time to time. Just gotta ****** them up quick.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
onionfmr
Tourer

Originally Posted by jakejohn
Do you happen to have pics of the Springer seat rail w/pad.Any ideas what the part #'s are. Have been thinking about that combo but not sure where to start. Thanks in advance.
Here are the HD part numbers. I believe that you can still get the seat rails from dealers or places like Chicago Harley or Zanotti.

Rider Seat Rail Kit 52687-97
Rider Backrest Tall 52827-97
Passenger Backrest Tall 52829-97
Rider Backrest Low 52826-97
Passenger Backrest Low 52828-97

I believe that the only difference between the rider and passenger tall/low pads is a strap with the rider pads.

The pads are getting hard to find. Best bet that I have found for the pads is eBay. They are getting very pricey!!!! Here's a link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-...=p4506.c0.m245

In eBay, search in Motorcycle parts under "Heritage Springer Backrest". There are several currently listed with pictures.

I used a chrome spacer on my seat rail to get the proper angle for the pad and my back.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:06 PM
jakejohn
Cruiser

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Firehouse customs Backrest for Deluxe.