Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 422 Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 422 Question

Getting ready to install some Progressive 422 rear shocks and the manual calls out a "Snap-on adapter" to access the shock bolts. Has anyone used this and is it necessary? - the quote I got from Snap-on tools is $65.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:46 PM
dkyork
Tourer

You can use a regular socket for the bolts on the front and I used a closed end crescent for the rear shoulder bolts. I also used a mallet on the crescent to loosen the shoulder bolts up at first. There are only 4 bolts holding the stockers on, you should be ok.

regards,

Dale

Old 12-01-2009, 08:52 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

Thanks for the info - would rather not spend the $$.

Old 12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
trozenhorse
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just did mine, i bought a set of those ratchet crescent wratches on sale, set of 8 for $20, best investment, and great when i work on the bike as the inner part is abs plastic, does not mark or scratch the bolts as well. great to have in the tool chest and this time of the year there are huge sales....sears or home depot or lowes, i got mine @ sears, they were 70% off....

Old 12-01-2009, 10:21 PM
SoftailSlim
Intermediate

You only need the special tool to be able to torque the bolts when you re-install. Just make sure you use loctite and get the bolts real tight, check your service manual for the torque. I broke mine loose by extending my combination wrenches. I put the open end of a large wrench into the closed end of the other wrench to double the length to break the bolts loose ( had to push with my foot). Just use the same two wrenches to help get the bolts as tight as they need to be. Oh yeah, I had my bike up on cinder blocks, two high under each wheel and the kickstand, so I could get under it to work. I strapped the bike off to the overhead beams, so if it fell, it wouldn't do much damage to the scooter. Your on your own if you block your bike up like I did, it's dangerous as heck!! A trip to the hospital is cheaper then the price of a special tool...(lol). To do it with the bike on the floor, jack the rear of the frame till the rear wheel just lifts off the floor. You'll have to pound on the wrench to loosen the bolts and pound on the wrench to get them tight again. Again, remember to use loctite on the bolts on re-assembly! It's not hard to do the job, good luck!

Old 12-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

Looks like I will be picking up some of those ratchet crescent wrenches. I had a scare with the bike on the lift when doing the wheels - i lowered it too fast and the bike jumped into me, luckily i was able to grab it and wrestle it upright.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:22 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

I used a box-end wrench on the nut, angled down to the ground, then lowered the bike on the lift and let the weight undo the nut. Loctited it and beat it with a hammer to tighten it.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:28 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I installed mine without the special tool.

Old 12-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Bugsplat
Road Captain

I like that idea of using the weight of the bike to loosen the bolts - very clever indeed!

Old 12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you get em installed, let us know how much you like them and if you think it was worth it. I'm interested in installing a set myself.

Quick Reply: Progressive 422 Question