Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Military riders, Hate your safety vest? Check out this new jacket/vest..

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 AM
Snow1989
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadeye
And you are quoting the same tired crap I've heard for 20+ years, "If you don't wear the the right safety gear off duty & off base, we won't pay your medical bills. Its an empty threat.
Not sure which branch, but I can tell you from 25+ being military it is not an empty threat. I have seen 3 'line of duty' determinations where they did NOT cover the medical cost of the active duty injured due to the fact they did not follow the off-base rule for wearing protective gear.

As far as 'simple' retirees. (Not DOD or contractor employee/affiliated) Protective gear as far as helmets, gloves, long sleeves and shoes apply, but I haven't had any base insist on the belt. The regs typically stipulate those for ACTIVE duty members.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:35 PM
RedBen
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snow1989
Not sure which branch, but I can tell you from 25+ being military it is not an empty threat. I have seen 3 'line of duty' determinations where they did NOT cover the medical cost of the active duty injured due to the fact they did not follow the off-base rule for wearing protective gear.
I would say this is especially true considering the extra focus on motorcycle riders within the last 2 years. Those who have been retired for a while may not realize the large amount of attention that military motorcycle riders have been receiving. I don't know how many times I had to provide info on type of bike I ride, how long I've been riding, whether or not I had the basic rider course and/or advanced riders course, and other info. In addition I was required to take an advanced rider's course. If you do get injured in a motorcycle accident without the proper gear and those more concerned about the "motorcycle issue" get involved, you might become an example.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:44 PM
USMC2010
Tourer
Received 76 Likes on 40 Posts

The Marine Corps stopped requiring vests earlier this year.

Last edited by USMC2010; 12-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:49 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC2010
The Marine Corps stopped requiring vests earlier this year.
Its good to hear some areas of the military are easing up on biker harassment. Personally I wear helmet, jacket, gloves, anyway because I see their value. The vest is just nanny state harassment.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:44 AM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This year on the Marine base I work at change it... No longer required to wear reflective vest day or night? I don't know why they did it but I don't mind it. I think ithas to do with guys riding around in town off base... if the wearing a reflective vest and they're F'ing around the locals just don't just think "Look at that military guy" They care more about what the public thinks sometimes? Anyway it's still strange to see riders on base at night with no vest.

Old 01-09-2019, 05:43 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,273 Likes on 2,002 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBen
All of those guys who take off all their gear after leaving the base need to pay attention to part "a" in the quote above. You have to have the basics that are in the DOD instruction basically anytime you ride. That, however, does not include the reflective vest. But if you leave base and switch to shorts, t-shirt, and no helmet (in states where helmet is not required) and you get in a wreck, whether it's your fault or not, the military might not cover your medical bills. I'm not sure about life insurance, but that might not get paid out if you're killed either.
That threat to not pay medical claims I have never seen executed. Not sure it could be. But I have seen NJP or courts martial proceedings used. I've even seen where AWOL was used. You do not hear the threat of withholding for DUIs, on or off post.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

The more I learn about about the modern Army, the happier I am that I was in when it hadn’t become totally pussified yet.

Last edited by IronAss; 01-09-2019 at 06:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:47 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,973 Likes on 3,046 Posts

Don't expect an answer on a 10 year old post.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:50 AM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 12,221 Likes on 4,771 Posts

I never expect an answer on any post regardless of age. It’s all about the count.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 AM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,973 Likes on 3,046 Posts

Originally Posted by IronAss
I never expect an answer on any post regardless of age. It’s all about the count.
You're in AZ, go riding and screw the post count.
Are you competing with Chickenonachain? Who BTW I hear isn't on here anymore.

Quick Reply: Military riders, Hate your safety vest? Check out this new jacket/vest..