Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

still having a problem with the cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default still having a problem with the cold weather

A brief history, I let my bike sit around 2 weeks(03 fxst carbed) and after that it started acting like it was out of gas after about 15 miles in below freezing weather. I thought it was moisture in the gas so I added so seafoam to take care of it. I rode it in 50 degree weather for 70 miles and it ran perfect so I thought it was fixed. Well this morning at 30 degrees after about 10 miles it started skipping and acting like it was starving for fuel. I have to keep the throttle cracked for it to stay running and it still skips taking off. I am at a loss as to why it does this only when cold. It has se pipes, jet kit and k&n.

Old 01-12-2010, 08:19 PM
snip0721
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you running a stock cv carb? how long are you letting it warm up? have you tried adjusting the enricher(choke) when it acts up? might try richening it up by pulling out on the **** slowly. if this helps you might want to richen your pilot adjustment, or jump to a larger one. steve

Old 01-13-2010, 07:42 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Vaporization of fuel and expansion of the air in the carburetor causes sudden cooling of the air/fuel mixture. The temperature may drop as much as 60 degrees F (15 degrees C) within a fraction of a second. This cooling causes water vapor in the air to condense, and if the temperature in the carburetor reaches 32 degrees F (0 C) the water freezes inside the carburetor passages... this basically says the same thing that I said before... my bike, a carb'd 03 Fatboy, does the same thing... you have to learn to keep feeding it fuel... I do not have or need the enricher (choke)... just use your throttle.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:27 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

It runs really rough though and it puffs black smoke. If it was minor I wouldnt worry with it. I pulled the bowl off last night and there was trash in the bowl and water. Some water was dripping out from behind the air filter also. I shined a flashlight into the tank and you could see something swirling like water. When I got home this morning it cut off and I let it sit for 30 seconds, started it and it idled fine. Maybe the bowl is running dry from it freezine. I am going to put a inline filter in and pull the petcock, clean it and drain the gas and see if that helps.
Thanks for the input.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:28 AM
hogowner69
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same thing happen when I had a '93 Heritage. I had to warm it up for at least 5-10 minutes in the cold weather before I was able to ride it without the "skipping" etc. What I did was to start it up, crack the throttle a bit, then lock it into place for the warm up. I hated using the enricher for more then a few minutes.....

Old 01-13-2010, 08:29 AM
s.ga.rider
Tourer

Yes it is the stock carb, I think it has a jet kit I was told it did when I bought it. It has a 180 main in it. That was all I could see.

Hog owner, it runs fine when it first starts, its only after 15 or so miles before it starts.

Old 01-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Danny D
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My '07 Fatboy started right up after just over 3 weeks of snow and the temp going down to -20 degrees,