Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you change paint on an Anniv. (105th) Fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
OTTO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking tins

I save the originals and get new ones painted to your liking .

Old 01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did something similar with my 04 Road King. Wanted a different paint job but the original set was in perfect condition and I didn't want to deal with a lot of down time. Bought the tins/bags from a number of different places (ebay, craigslist, classifieds and J&P) and had them painted before I took off my set and sold them. Best part was I actually made about $50 on the tranaction.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Faast Ed
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by beaureed445
Get a set of tins off eBay, have them painted, and remove the 105th Anniv sheet metal....if you think it'll be worth something some day. Otherwise, just paint them, as already mentioned. I would keep the tank badges, just for sentimental value.
I agree with most of that. Swap the tins before paint.

But the anniversary badges are useless with the new paint. They'd actually take away from it.

I have always avoided anniversary bikes because of my desire to change stuff. I have always felt that your hands are tied with those bikes.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:42 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't want to offend anyones pride and joy, but here is my IMHO.
I'd paint that ugly paint scheme in a heart beat. You sould be able to find a local painter to paint it cheaper than buying new tins already painted. I don't think anyone is going to say when you sell the bike, "Oh I don't want that bike since it does'nt have the original paint".

Old 01-12-2010, 04:47 PM
Maimas
Road Warrior

Honestly, I'd say sell it and get another Bike. The main reason I didnt get the anni, is I couldnt see spending the extra $$$ and changing it anyway. Try to get rid of it, if you cant, then paint it.

The only Difference between the 08 anni and the standard was the copper. and the price.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Heck a lot of dealers who were stuck with the anniversary models changed the tins for a custom set just to sell the bikes. They were not all that popular to begin with. If you can afford to get new tins if not paint the old ones, I would in a heartbeat

Old 01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know if I would agree that a custom paint job would depreciate the value of a bike. THAT depends on the paint job. If you get something that is right out of this world with graphics and whatnot, that doesn't appeal to just anybody, it may only be worthy of a lowered number of buyers who will pay top dollar for that kind of thing. If you find the right buyer, you will get top dollar. But if you paint it a colour that would generate interest from a larger portion of the Harley buyers out there, well then ... it then becomes much easier to get what you want for it.

Harleys are notorious for each owner making it 'thier own'. We all do stuff to our bikes that help it fit our own personal needs. THAT's the fundemental beauty of owning a motorcycle.

If you don't like the look of it ... It's worth nothing! If, however, you paint it up or add all kinds of wonderous shiney parts to your liking .... YOU will consider it priceless and never want to part with it! So the monetary value really has little importance.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:59 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

copper = fugly ...paint it.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:30 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Anniversary paint (2003) says just one thing about your bike and that is: it is a 7 year-old ride... The only anniversary of your bike is the date you got it. Other than that I don't care that much for the 2003 paint schemes. If you care for it or think (imagine) that there will be an added value for that in a re-sale moment, then get an extra set of parts to paint your bike the way you want to.

Mimo.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:36 PM
HOGBOY57
Road Captain

i would have them painted in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: Would you change paint on an Anniv. (105th) Fatboy?