Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Bones: Some stuff I have been doing to my Springer front end...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The Donald
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alritey then .... thxs !

Old 02-03-2010, 10:08 PM
MetalMike
Novice

A good Patina to green the copper is called midas green patina by rio grande. Makes it look pretty and old but I have not had much luck with anything that bites well. I guess if u want to put it outside for 10 years you will get something a little better.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 817 Likes on 803 Posts

Telling Ya,, at first when some of the mods were done I just kinda just frooze up,, didn't know iff-in I digging it or not...
But I'll tell Ya the more U flow the "tiqued" finish on the better shes a lookin.
Keep her coming and tell MOCO that powder coating may be dying in the future....

Old 02-04-2010, 03:00 AM
bmr
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those springs turned out really nice! The front end is looking great. Do you think your RSD covers are starting to look too bright and shiny compared to the rest of your aged mods?

How low are you going with your front signals? I can't wait to see that mod.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When your console is remounted how close will the corner of your bars come to making contact with your console? I have wondered if the 4 or 5 inch dogbones would bring the gimps too close and ultimately hitting the console.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:13 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bmr
Those springs turned out really nice! The front end is looking great. Do you think your RSD covers are starting to look too bright and shiny compared to the rest of your aged mods?

How low are you going with your front signals? I can't wait to see that mod.
Funny you should say that. I started experimenting yesterday. This cross used to be gold anodized like the covers. Do you guys think I should do this with the covers too? Keep in mind I can make them less blotchy by using acetone to clean the metal rather than soap and water like I did here.

As to the turn signals, I am starting to think that the bike would look better with the headlight standing alone, so I may end up putting small black turn signals back up on the handle bars so not to clutter up the front end.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:18 PM
C. Numb
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalMike
A good Patina to green the copper is called midas green patina by rio grande. Makes it look pretty and old but I have not had much luck with anything that bites well. I guess if u want to put it outside for 10 years you will get something a little better.
I have a few greens that I am playing around with. They would need to be clear coated though. As you know, they come out pretty powdery.

Originally Posted by oct1949
Telling Ya,, at first when some of the mods were done I just kinda just frooze up,, didn't know iff-in I digging it or not...
But I'll tell Ya the more U flow the "tiqued" finish on the better shes a lookin.
Keep her coming and tell MOCO that powder coating may be dying in the future....
Thanks man!

Originally Posted by Milty
When your console is remounted how close will the corner of your bars come to making contact with your console? I have wondered if the 4 or 5 inch dogbones would bring the gimps too close and ultimately hitting the console.
Good question. I guess I'll find out when I get the console back from the plater.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:34 PM
RNBONES
Road Master

I vote yes! As for the blotchy stuff i'm not sure. In the pic. the blotches looks like they could maybe be dryed water marks to someone who may not be familiar with the patina process, you know what i mean? I'm going to be experimenting next week !!!! You always beat me to the punch C.!!! Taking my covers off to see what i can make of them. The bike is looking bad ***, and getting better with every post! Oh yeah, about the signals, what about getting some mirrors with the signals in them?
Originally Posted by C. Numb
Funny you should say that. I started experimenting yesterday. This cross used to be gold anodized like the covers. Do you guys think I should do this with the covers too? Keep in mind I can make them less blotchy by using acetone to clean the metal rather than soap and water like I did here.

As to the turn signals, I am starting to think that the bike would look better with the headlight standing alone, so I may end up putting small black turn signals back up on the handle bars so not to clutter up the front end.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:44 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Off the charts C. Numb . I'd do the covers, but the only thing is, those covers are worth a lot of dough like is...and already look bad azz! I like the bold brass/gold color! ***** to the wall man. Maybe it's just me, but I could see some business with that patina stuff. I'd pay for the service!!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think doin the RSD covers is long overdue. You are very talented and i think itz worth a try..

Quick Reply: X Bones: Some stuff I have been doing to my Springer front end...