Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering bike in pickup from TN. to AZ. Moving/Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:28 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Trailering bike in pickup from TN. to AZ. Moving/Help!

I'm moving from Tennessee back to Arizona (Peoria) on the 18th of this month. I'm not too hip on it, but I am planning on trailering my bike (09' Crossbones) in the back of my GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab. How do I load it? Strap it? Cover and protect it? Unload it? quality of straps? I'm feeling real nervous about loading and unloading!!! I have been riding bikes since I was a kid, and have loaded and unloaded a dirt bike by myself before, but load/unload a 730 lb. Harley??? My BABY!!! I know that all it takes is just a little too much lean on the ramp, and....BAMMM!! Any advice??

Old 02-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Griff83
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rent a u-haul, low ramp get a covered one and you dont have to worry about rocks and what ever hitting the bike.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Find a loading ramp somewhere at a shipper that will let you borrow it for a couple min and drive it on. Or find a steep approach off of a road somewhere, pulll your truck down into the ditch, back up to the approach, put a loading ramp from the approach onto your tailgate and drive it on. Quite easy, and just the opposite for taking it off. Loaded and unloaded my bikes that way by myself many times, never a problem.

As far as strapping it, I hate rubs from straps. You can buy these special straps that slip over your handle bar grips and allow you to ratchet strap to them. Then put a couple ratchet straps from your fame to the front hooks in your truck and that thing ain't going anywhere. If you're really worried, you can run ratchet straps from your back hooks in your box to the rear of your bike as well.

Good luck with your move, I wish I was moving to Arizona, this Albertan weather just plain sucks, lol...

Old 02-07-2010, 08:02 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior

Thanks for the advice guys! Depending on weather, I'll check on a u-haul. The ramp/loading dock idea is a great idea! Where can I get the rub resistant straps?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:18 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior

Should I use a wheel chock if I use my pickup bed?

Old 02-07-2010, 08:19 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I carried my FatBoy from San Antonio to San Diego in the back of my F-150. I laid a 4X8 sheet of 1/2" plywood in the bed. this helped spread the weight out on the drop-in bedliner. instead of a pingle, I screwed 2 2X4s on each side of the front tire to keep it from moving laterally. I drilled and attached a 1/2 eyebolt in each front corner of the bed (I went through the bed and used a 3/16" - 6"X6" plate as a backer). I used 1500 lb straps. 3 2X6 - 18" long were screwed together to use as a block under the frame. I racheted the bike down solid on this block. this kept the bike from bouncing on the front forks. I used the truck tie-down points for the rear. you only have to keep the rear wheel from hopping left or right. I tied it down to the cross over on the front down tubes (where an engine guard would bolt) I don't like using the handlebars as tie down points.

my F-150 has an 8 ft bed, so I was able to close the tailgate. it your truck is a 6 ft bed, a full sheet of plywood (covering the tailgate) will help carry the weight on the tailgate.

Alamo Harley actually loaded the bike for me and helped strap it down. San Diego Harley unloaded it on the other end. this was complimentary from both dealers. maybe your dealers will be this kind also.

DO NOT COVER YOUR BIKE WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING. the wind will beat your bike to death. I covered mine at night in the motel parking lot. I used a U-Haul's SPARE TIRE LOCK (plastic covered steel cable) to secure the bike in the bed.

I didn't worry about rocks or road debris - heck, I ride it on the roads and not worry about it! besides, when was the last time you had a tiny rock fly into your truck bed?

good luck with the move.

please PM me if you have any questions. Dave

Old 02-07-2010, 08:41 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior

I just love great advice! I'm feeling more confident about this already.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:44 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

as been said before, make sure you check the straps within the first 25 miles or so. since I'm paranoid, I checked mine at every gas/rest stop.

oh, duct tape any loose strap ends too....

Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

I think alot of ATV motorcycle shops would carry them, that is where I got mine. Here is a link from Ebay to give you an idea of what they look like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...item4a9e5105b0

Those ones might be alittle cheap though, the ones I bought look alot heavier and cost $55. They are great cause they suck the front of the bike down and make it feel really secure without having to find spots on the upper part of the bike to put straps around. As I said, I would still run more ratchet straps around the bottom of your frame but they will really firm it up.

+1 on NO TARPS.. Had a shipper put a dirty tarp over my 99 Trans Am WS6 and when it arrived the paint, t-roofs, and glass were so badly etched.

+1 on checking and rechecking straps. Duct tape or tieing the straps in a bunch of knots will keep them from slapping against your paint. All good advice.

Unless it is a trailer queen I wouldn't worry to much about stone chips. It is covered more from rocks in the back of the truck then it is when you are on the road riding and putting miles on. But if the trailer is cheap enough, and maybe you can pack some of your stuff in there with it, it might be worth it. I wouldn't worry too much bud, you will do fine...

Last edited by Jaxx; 02-07-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 08:54 PM
skipper469
Road Warrior

Awesome information guys!! For piece of mind and minimal cost, I'm going to pick up a wheel chock and some quality straps. Any x-factor with my springer front end? Thanks again for all your great advice!!!

Quick Reply: Trailering bike in pickup from TN. to AZ. Moving/Help!