Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Fatboy and Heritage Tins Swappable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 01:27 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Are Fatboy and Heritage Tins Swappable?

Does anyone know for sure? I have an 02 softail and want to know if 06 Heritage softail tins will work on my bike? I am aware of the turn signal issue. But will they bolt on directly? That is my concern. Thnaks if I actually get an answer.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
cjmilez
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are Fatboy and Heritage Tins Swappable?

Don't know for sure, but wanted to say that my roommate had ordered some 2005 Heritage tins for her 2006 Heritage and they didn't work....the service dept, said they were both for the EFI, but the bottom of the 05 tank was not the same as the 06... she had to send them back [:@] The service dept said they didn't even know they changed up the tanks.....I would call your local HD service dept and maybe ask them?!

Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is your bike efi or carb?

just search ebay for "harley fatboy paint" or "harley heritage paint"

many ads say what years the sets will fit.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM
HDGreyRider
Cruiser

I don't know if you can put Fatboy tin on a FLSTC or FLSTCI. I don't think it would be that easy a swap.

The stock heritage front fender is different. Holes to accomodate the light on the fender and the letters on the side of the fender. You also have the skirt on the front fender behind the tire. I ordered a numbered set from Harley for the FLSCTI that did not have these "holes" in the fender. We had to bury the wire that feeds the fender light.

I think the tail light and signals are different on the rear fender as well.

What is the difference in the front forks?

Probably a lot of mods would have to be done.

Old 07-26-2006, 10:57 AM
HDGreyRider
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: anubisss

Does anyone know for sure? I have an 02 softail and want to know if 06 Heritage softail tins will work on my bike? I am aware of the turn signal issue. But will they bolt on directly? That is my concern. Thnaks if I actually get an answer.

I should have had more coffee before I tried to reply to this. Sorry.

I think they mad significant changes with the 04. Most parts state "fits '04 and later softail"
and I don't know if I would trust what an eBay seller states. Obviously you have a specific set in mind.

Where you purchasing them?

Numbered Harley sets have a warantee on them when purchased from a dealer , but have them installed by a dealer. You scratch them or mount them incorrectly and your screwed.

Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 AM
haksaw
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it wouldn't be that hard. Greyrider is right in the fact that you'd have the holes on the fender but you'd obviously fill those with the fender trim that belongs on it.

I put a fatboy rear fender on my deluxe which is pretty much the same as a heritage. I also put on a fender designed for a fatboy on the front. No issues at all. (other than the obvious, different rear signals and tail light)

If you look through the deluxe pictures you'll find some pics. I already changed it back to the original fender but it's very simple.

Cool dog also put deluxe fenders on his fatboy. You can see his pics here. https://www.hdforums.com/m_183501/tm.htm

Old 07-31-2006, 08:00 PM
rogerm
Intermediate

I replaced my heritage tins with fatboy tins. Worked fine with much cleaner look. I did have to drill hole for the turn signal bar, but wasn't a big deal at all.