Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coming off a Street Glide..Heritage maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Radical
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coming off a Street Glide..Heritage maybe?

I sold my Street Glide and was leaning toward a Heritage. Nice bike but it looks small in comparison to the Glide while in reality it has a wheel base that's actually longer by one inch. The overall length is 1/2 inch shorter. What makes the Heritage feel small in comparison to the Glide or even the RK Classic? Will 2 up be able to travel comfortably or would the RK Classic be better? We found the Glide to be uncomfortable for the long haul and no put down is meant here, just that it did not fit us. I've had the Road King Classic and liked the bike but thought the Heritage might a be nice change of pace. For those who ride 2 up on the Heritage is long distance riding comfortable and easy to do or is it punishing?

Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

They call them touring bikes for a reason. You can travel fine on that Heritage. I own both a Streetglide and a counterbalanced, six speed Fat Boy. I have ridden long distance on the Fatty with a quick disconnect windshield, bags, and sissybar. Not much difference between that bike and a Heritage. Once I traveled long distnces at 80 m.p.h on the glide, the Fat Boy became a stripped down around town ride. It also depends on your and your passengers size, and how far you travel each day. Soft Tails are one thing tourers are another.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:38 PM
Radical
Tourer

We are not big people I'm 5'9" 175lbs wife is 5'7' 125lbs. We generally do about 400 miles per day when traveling. No big rush but we do like to get there. Sounds like the Heritage would work just fine. Thanks.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:05 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heritage is a fine bike. Very comfortable and fun to ride. You'd be best to take a test ride with your wife on the back to see for yourself. My wife was very uncomfortable on the stock seat. I installed Mustang rider, passenger seats and backrests and floorboards for her and she can ride all day long now.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:10 PM
Radical
Tourer

Good advice Keno. Will do so if the snow ever melts however in this part of the country you get you best deals now so that's part of why I was asking. No way to ride until global warming catches up with us.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Great bike! Of course I may be a bit bias.

Clay

Old 02-11-2010, 11:37 PM
bord3r
Cruiser

Man i would say the heritage would be great but i have ridden a hardtail from houston texas to sturgis in 24 hours haha so id say yes...

Old 02-12-2010, 04:18 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're right, parked next to a RK the Heritage classic looks smaller. IMHO the RK looks fatter and more dense, somewhat like a bumble bee when compared to the Heritage Classic which reminds me of a wasp in shape sometimes.

Because of its shape, my wife and I feel that with the Heritage Classic we have bought ourselves some more air in which to move. We are larger than the dimensions mentioned above. Let's just say I'm 5'10 and over 200 lbs and leave it at that :-). We've rented, rode and sat on different bikes, but feel like we have the most room on a Heritage Classic. This is due in part to the rider floorboards, which are mounted lower to the ground (and maybe more forward) providing more legroom for the driver. Another advantage is the stepped seat which provides room between the passenger and rider. The passenger backrest also leans back some, providing more room. (I added lower "beachbar" style handlebars just for the looks and found I lean forward somewhat, providing even more room).

Regarding ride, the smooth cast aluminum "profile" rims that come standard now (some call them "smoothies") provide extra cush. I think they make up for any supposed suspension sacrifice with the softail frame. They are also lighter and more nimble. I actually replaced my wheels with a 40-spoke steel front wheel and an 80-spoke steel back wheel, just for looks. I notice a stiffer ride now (like a Jeep vs. a Grand Prix) but my wife, who rides a lot with me says it's just fine with her. I've found the Heritage Classic's mini ape hanger bars to be extremely comfortable for the long haul, and the stock seats fit rider and passenger to a T.

If I wanted a phatter look, I would go with something else. But, in my experience, you won't find more room than an FLSTC. Don't be afraid of the ride, either. For me, feeling the road a little more is a positive thing, especially on a motorcycle. If you want cruise control, be aware that this option is not available on the FLSTC through HD. That's just fine with me. Bear in mind the FLSTC's real heritage: the 1949 FL hard tail was THE old school full dresser touring machine. Generations have considered the FL hard tail and softail their long-distance touring bike.

So, to answer your question, "What makes a Heritage look smaller?" I think it is...

1. No faring
2. Smaller gas tank than RK or SG (by a gallon)
3. Lower seat
4. Components more spaced out
5. No Nacelle (headlight cover) like the RK
6. No painted side cover
7. Fenders appear to be a little less beefy
8. The tank console stops 1/2 way
9. The bags have an appearance of being smaller (don't know if they are)
10. Longer Rake, but possibly shorter top tube?

My bike:

Last edited by mcpastor; 02-12-2010 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Radical
Tourer

Thanks MC that helps me get my arms around this. I have done most of my own maintenance and would expect this to be the same on the B motor. That cruise control thing might be the deal breaker as well as no ABS. Braking I would imagine would be slightly different with only one disc front and rear? Any observations here?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:48 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

The Heritage and Deluxe aren't too far apart. We are comparable in weight, and when we are out on a tour we are loaded pretty good with all our gear. You don't get any vibration with the B motor in the softails which is good for my hands. I use a throttle rocker also that helps also, makes up for no cruse and is only a few dollars. The better half uses a sheepskin and says it really helps. She says she is very comfy, and with a backrest I am also. I have almost 55,000 kms on my 08 Deluxe and enjoyed every second. You should do just fine on a Heritage. Enjoy your miles on the road.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 02-12-2010 at 10:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Coming off a Street Glide..Heritage maybe?