Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlemen Exp Spec Gel Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
DaSham58
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saddlemen Exp Spec Gel Seat

I am thinking about getting one for my Heritage and was wondering if anyone has one and how they like it ?
Saddlemen Exp Spec Gel Seat-6515118.jpg

Old 02-23-2010, 12:53 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've heard they're great, but never rode one first hand, so interested myself. Ideally, I would like that seat with the basketweave skirt, but don't think they offer it that way.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:26 PM
flynhigh56
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have one on my Fatoy and the jury is still out on it. Haven't been able to get a decent ride on it since I put it on. I do feel like it moved me too far forward on the bike and I'm not sure I like it. In fact I have the stock seat right next to me and I'm getting ready to go out and swap seats again. I put apes and forward controls on after I put the new seat on and I want to see if it makes any difference or not. Now if I can figure out how to get that stupid metal bar off the stock seat without tearing up the seat I'd be in good shape.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Colorado08FLSTCI
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the Saddlemen Explorer Classic for Christmas. Had some install issues, but once I figured them out, the seat went on pretty easy. Like the above, I haven't been able to ride much due to the weather, only about 5 hours. I actually feel a little further back and lower than on the stock seat but it seems to work for me. My butt doesn't seem to fatigue as easy on the Saddlemen seat opposed to the stock seat either.

The way the weather is going, my first real test of the seat might just be a 4000 mile round trip to DC in May...

As far as the rear pillion bracket needed to mount the rear part of the seat, I didn't want to destroy my stock pillion, so I went to the Harley dealership. They didn't have the bracket for a Heritage, but the one from an FLH worked just fine with a little tweaking. Had to put it as far out as I could and drill out the "tab" slot for lining it up on the seat to use it for mounting one of the screws. But it works pretty good.

From my previous post on the Explorer Classic seat: "For the rear bracket, I went to the local Harley dealership. They didn't have the bracket I was looking for, but they did have one for an FLH that looked about right in dimensions. Part #51652-97A. I was looking for the rear seat bracket for an 87-96 softail #51663-96. I had to remount and drill an extra hole in the FLH bracket to get it to match up with the mount on the fender for the rear pillion. It is still about 1/4" off, but the screw is threaded & tight. I'm hoping after some use and settling, it will pop down completely over the mount and tighten down all the way. It was about 34 degrees in the garage so the seat fiberglass frame was a little rigid."

Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 PM
flynhigh56
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went out and swapped the seats back and forth a couple times and found the difference wasn't as much as I thought it was. Put the saddlemen back on and left it at that. That drivers backrest is going to be nice this summer.