Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of the Fatboy Lo for a new rider?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 06:14 PM
haakon59
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you think of the Fatboy Lo for a new rider?

I have yet to take the motorcycle safety class, but am not expecting any problem passing. My age is 50, my only previous experience was riding on a Honda 90 about 30 years ago. At a motorcycle show a couple of months ago, the Harley representative told me that she had started on the Fat Boy and found it well balanced, a good way to go for a new person. Do you as experienced riders feel this is true, or would I be better off starting with a less powerful metric bike and get a feel for things before "graduating" to a Harley? Thanks in advance for your advice, I appreciate it.

I should mention: I am 5'11", about 250 lbs.

Last edited by haakon59; 03-05-2010 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM
bikermama
Road Captain

I have the new fatboy lo, I started out on a 250cc rebel, took the safety class and worked my way up to a hd xl883 low, rode that for 6 months, then went to my new lo, I'm only 5'1" and I love it! Good luck with whatever you choose,welcome from wisconsin!!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
v2in
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fatboy Low

Originally Posted by haakon59
I have yet to take the motorcycle safety class, but am not expecting any problem passing. My age is 50, my only previous experience was riding on a Honda 90 about 30 years ago. At a motorcycle show a couple of months ago, the Harley representative told me that she had started on the Fat Boy and found it well balanced, a good way to go for a new person. Do you as experienced riders feel this is true, or would I be better off starting with a less powerful metric bike and get a feel for things before "graduating" to a Harley? Thanks in advance for your advice, I appreciate it.

I should mention: I am 5'11", about 250 lbs.
I would rather see you get the Fatboy and grow into it. A lot of people buy Sportsters and then outgrown it in a few months. If it doesn't workout, I think that you could sell the fatboy much easier than a smaller bike. I say GO FOR IT !!!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Sagexpman
Cruiser

+1 what v2in said

Old 03-05-2010, 06:31 PM
haakon59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by v2in
I would rather see you get the Fatboy and grow into it. A lot of people buy Sportsters and then outgrown it in a few months. If it doesn't workout, I think that you could sell the fatboy much easier than a smaller bike. I say GO FOR IT !!!
Thanks for your advice. Many have advised me to try out a smaller bike at first. But the Harley people told me this was unnecessary. I sat on the bike at the motorcycle show and loved it. I also liked the Victory. I also sat on Suzuki and Kawasaki, which I understand are fine bikes. But to me the ergonomics felt a little better with both the Harley and the Victory, so I've been wondering what the best way to go will be. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM
haakon59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bikermama
I have the new fatboy lo, I started out on a 250cc rebel, took the safety class and worked my way up to a hd xl883 low, rode that for 6 months, then went to my new lo, I'm only 5'1" and I love it! Good luck with whatever you choose,welcome from wisconsin!!
Several people have advised me along the same lines. I am surprised you were able to progress so quickly. Being only 5'1" and being able to ride a Harley is impressive. Thanks for your advice!

Old 03-05-2010, 06:36 PM
haakon59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sagexpman
+1 what v2in said
\
Thanks for the input.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the fat boy. You'll be fine. No point in wasting all that money on starter bikes.
A guy I work with never rode a bike in his life. Walked into the dealership and bought a road king. Took the safty course and has not had one problem.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:44 PM
tomcat1
Intermediate

+1 what v2in said

also, ride the bikes provided with the safety class. And most have the ability to take the drivers test at the same time or completion and are just over the cc limit. That way during the class you don't have to worry about tipping over your brand new bike. I've seen it many times and also watched a guy lay down his brand new hog while at the dmv taking his driving test.

Then after the class and you have your license, take what you have learned during the class and go to a school parking lot and practice what you've learned with less pressure.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:50 PM
haakon59
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike06train
Get the fat boy. You'll be fine. No point in wasting all that money on starter bikes.
A guy I work with never rode a bike in his life. Walked into the dealership and bought a road king. Took the safty course and has not had one problem.
Thanks, wasting money was one of the concerns in the back of my mind. Appreciate your input.

Quick Reply: What do you think of the Fatboy Lo for a new rider?