Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My winter project starting late - 200 on my 02 NT

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 06:46 PM
cgauss
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My winter project starting late - 200 on my 02 NT

Last year I ended up having back surgery and really didnt get much riding in nor much time to work on my cycle. Today was pretty nice out so I asked a friend to help me work on mine and start getting this project underway.

Photo when I first bought it

I felt a 200 was something this cycle really needed. I have been shopping on eBay and the forum for the past few months. I picked up a tire/wheel with 60 miles on it, I believe off a 07 NT on eBay. A seat from a member on the forum. Rear fender with tail light on eBay. Struts off of a newer NT on eBay.

Today I stripped down the cycle and started test fitting things.

The brake caliper tab and caliper definitely need some grinding done. I started late this afternoon but my back started to bother me so I gave up for the day. Still need to grind a bunch off the tab.

Im kind of bummed because the new wheel is setup for a 1" axle so I need to figure out what I need to get it ready to go for the 3/4". Anyone have the part numbers?

Im sort of thinking of leaving the wheel a little offset this year and not switching the pulley or the belt. May end up changing my mind on that though.

Hoping to finish up the grinding, hack the frame horns off tomorrow and see if my buddy would be up for whipping me up some new frame horns that we could weld back on. Just feel safer if I ever have a rider with a little more then the stock struts holding up the weight.

Ill probably ask him to take the belt guards to the machine shop he works at and take a little off of those as well.

Debating on what I am going to do with the splash guard. It obviously needs to be widened a bit just trying to figure out the best way to do that. So far I am very happy with how things are going.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 446 Likes on 309 Posts

Looks like fun. However you might want to mount up the belt pulley and the brake rotor. I think your going to find some other problems. My 09 NT has a 200 tire on the back and it uses a 3/4" (?) belt, not sure of the exact size but it's pretty narrow.

I think your going to have a problem lining up your belt and still having room for the rotor and caliper. It may just be the angle of the pictures but it looks like it's going to be tight. good luck on your project.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:29 PM
cgauss
Cruiser

I got the pulley on this afternoon but dont have the correct torx bit to get the rotor off. Gotta stop by a buddies tomorrow to pick that one up. My machinist buddy and fellow rider is stopping by to help me out tomorrow as well. I will have more info as to the clearances then.

From what I saw it looks like it will fit with a small amount of clearance but I want a second set of eyes to check it out.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:23 PM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

if you went to an 18,you wouldnt have to grind brake tab and caliper,however, no big deal once that is done,search this forum for a guy that put a 17x6.5 on his duece and the grinding required to tab and caliper!he also machined a mill or so off the pulley he squeezed it in there
i have just been thru similar process,i went with18x5.5, on my deuce,i bought the wheel for $150 of e bay,but it had wide hub,it was for a big dog, so it wouldnt fit my bike,i had 13mm machined off pulley side hub,and 5.25mm machined off pulley side axle spacer!there is no offset,its centre,or looks pretty centre to me!! i am running a 180 at the moment,when it wears out i may go 200,i think i would have to change to narrower belt and pulley however, there is a bit more room left,but probably to tight with standard belt and pulley,no worries with 180

Old 03-07-2010, 12:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't have the PN's for it, but I think you can use the bearings from your old wheel (or new replacements).
I was told that the 1" axle bearings are the same outer diameter as the older 3/4" versions.
Not sure about the inner spacer, but measuring the bearings and spacers on the two wheels you have should tell the tale.
Me I would have tried to find an 07 or up swing arm that someone had pulled for a chrome one to go with the wheel.
It might have made the axle/bearing size and brake caliper things a non issue.
Good Luck, its a big project but you seem to have it well in hand.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 AM
SeMiGoD
Tourer

I was thinking about a similar project but using the swing arm and setup off a deuce. They already run a wider tire. Then get the rear fender to top it off. Keep us informed on how this goes.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:08 PM
cgauss
Cruiser

Did some more work today. Ground more on the brake caliper tab. Ground some off the brake caliper but I think I have more to go, need the clearance for the wheel weights. Hacked off the frame horns.

I did a little test fitting of the seat, fender and struts. Im kind of worried that the seat doesnt hug the fender completely.

Need to figure out where to relocate the ignition module.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:09 PM
cgauss
Cruiser

Talked to my local shop today and they will swap the bearings out for under $50. Looks like I have something to do next week.

Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
cgauss
Cruiser

Unfortunately I was out cold this afternoon and ended up getting a voice-mail from my local shop. The said the bearings are out but we might need to get a little ingenious on this. Not sure what this means. I guess I will find out on Monday.

Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,513 Likes on 5,464 Posts

Originally Posted by cgauss
Unfortunately I was out cold this afternoon and ended up getting a voice-mail from my local shop. The said the bearings are out but we might need to get a little ingenious on this. Not sure what this means. I guess I will find out on Monday.

I just did mine... actually rode it around the block today. I changed from 1" to 3/4" bearings. The problem is the 3/4 inch bearings are thicker than the 1 inch. I was running a drive side brake so it didn't matter...but it would cause problems for the stock brake. Here's a pic:

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 03-20-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Quick Reply: My winter project starting late - 200 on my 02 NT