Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painted fork sliders now TOO shiney!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Rail
Road Master

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom84FXST
Probably not...is it automotive clearcoat with hardener? If it is you can wet sand it with 2000 grit sandpaper, then "buff it" by hand till it gets to the shine you want...if you buff it with a buffer it will be as shiny as it is now but it will have a little less of a wet look.
This is your answer.. I would hand polish the sliders using 3M microfine compound.. You can control the degree of shine that way..

Old 03-18-2010, 12:06 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why use the clear coat? When I did mine I just used some primer and some satin black that way if i get a chip or scratch I can just blast it again. It's the clear coat thats making it so shiney.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:14 PM
RaaDeuce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by story808
Why use the clear coat? When I did mine I just used some primer and some satin black that way if i get a chip or scratch I can just blast it again. It's the clear coat thats making it so shiney.
I agree, it's the clear coat.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:11 PM
lionsqrne
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not just "the clear coat" but the 4 coats of clear. The deeper you go... the wetter it looks.

That almost sounds dirty.....

Old 03-18-2010, 08:04 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Okay... I agree the clear did make it shiney. But when I say four coats... Each coat was really REALLY thin. My four with the rattle can would equal one "normal" or maybe two thin coats with a regular gun. I'll wager a quick once-over with 600 and all the clear would be gone.

I was thinking of going with a satin finish originally. I've used it in the past and really liked the results. However, this time around, I decided on gloss to match the tins. Gloss paint is a DRAG to work with. At least for me. So my sliders may end up satin anyway if the "un-shiney-ing" goes bad.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:33 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Post up a pic Loose... maybe it don't look as bad as you think? Give it a few weeks maybe it'll tone down a bit. I give you credit for doing a good job I just sanded mine with some wet sand paper and soapy water one coat of primer and blasted with the satin black.
So good job man!!! Now lets see 'em...

Old 03-18-2010, 11:08 PM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Originally Posted by story808
Post up a pic Loose... maybe it don't look as bad as you think? Give it a few weeks maybe it'll tone down a bit. I give you credit for doing a good job I just sanded mine with some wet sand paper and soapy water one coat of primer and blasted with the satin black.
So good job man!!! Now lets see 'em...
Here ya go... Sorry for the lousy, blown up, cell phone pic.

Looks like the shop lights play some tricks with my phone. Whatcha think?

Old 03-19-2010, 07:13 AM
twisted125
Road Master

Dude, those look really nice. You should be proud of yourself. I rattle a lot of stuff, havent really messed with glosses much. Snap a pic of the primer, paint, and clear you used sitting side by side - just to satisfy my curiosity. Maybe hit em again with something really fine to break down that clear a little . . . if your wanting to get it down to a satin. But for a gloss, looks like you did a damn good job. If you carry that into a couple other things here and there working your way back, it'll drag your eye from one to the other and make those gloss sliders not stand out as much.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:24 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member

Pus 1 on what Twist said I like them... I kinda wish mine were that shinny. Go ride Loose and don't worry about it.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:17 AM
LooseMoose
Tourer

Thanks guys!

It's been a while since my last post and the paint seems to be "dulling" up just a wee bit. Maybe it's the solvents and propellents (sp?) evaporating.... Don't know... but it does look a bit better... To me anyway.

Here's the paints I used...

So far, I have about $20 and a bit of time into this project. I've used Rust-Oleum paints on other projects (mostly flats and satins) with good results. This is my first try with the shiney stuff.

Quick Reply: Painted fork sliders now TOO shiney!