Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable saddlebags for Heritage Classic

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 12:37 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 627 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1503
+ 1 On the barebacks, they work and look great.
I installed Barebacks on my '07 Softail Custom and they look like crap. My bags require spacers between the struts and bag frame. When used with the Barebacks, the spacers make the bags stick out about 5 inches from the bike. I need a "Wide Load" sign!

When I removed the Barebacks and installed the bags with the bolts supplied with them, they looked much better. The HD dealer who sold me th Barebacks won't refund my money. A Barebacks rep I spoke with said to test fit the bags without the spacers. If this works, I was advised shorten the length of the (Barabacks) bolts that thread into the struts, so they don't contact the rear tire. If I knew I'd have to cut a $139 pair of Barebacks, I would have never bought them.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:31 PM
kowinkle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hm...in a similar situation here - wondering about the quick releases for backrest, passenger seat and...the bags. And yes, cleaning is impossible w/out taking the bags off.

Some have spoken of the ease of removing the bags. I just purchased a 2010 Heritage and the top of the bag comes off easily. The bottom support of the bag is a different story - it's a "rubber mount" for lack of a better term and my dealer told me that it's not meant to come off? If it was a simple bolt/nut or something similar...no problem. This thing is not only rubber mounted - I think someone used lock tight on whatever is underneath it.

I too am interested in the quick release solutions that are out there.

Thanks,
Kelly

Old 07-23-2010, 09:14 PM
pdfiddler
Tourer

Grab the rubber gromit with jaws of channel locks and back acorn nut off with wrench.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:26 AM
kowinkle
Advanced

Sounds like you've done this before fiddler

Now - to get my husband out of the house before I start taking tools to the bike (again).

Thanks for the advice! Until I purchase some detachables, those bags just need to come off to get at the grime underneath.

Much appreciated!

Old 07-25-2010, 03:16 PM
jrr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kowinkle
... The bottom support of the bag is a different story - it's a "rubber mount" for lack of a better term and my dealer told me that it's not meant to come off? If it was a simple bolt/nut or something similar...no problem. This thing is not only rubber mounted - I think someone used lock tight on whatever is underneath it.
Bubba's uses a small **** that is hand tightened and removed. The "rubber mount" stays in place.