Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hardtail my softail

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

So just seeing if Ol' Lance ever got the deed done as I'm seriously thinking about hardtailing my night train.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:37 AM
lfmn16
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ackackadak
It makes you more manly to ride a rigid and one needs to let others know this when they have one.
He won't feel so manly when his ***** shake off and he runs over them!

No need to test ride a rigid - just smack yourself in the nuts with a 2X4 and have your wife kick you in the kidneys - you'll get the idea.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:12 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

www.fabkevin.com

Give him a call. Awesome guy. He is pricey but knows bikes and knows what it takes to make things work. He did some work on my old softail evo chopper. It basically rode on the bump stops and had almost zero give. Did not notice much difference then what I have now.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

First off, going with a rigid frame will take off a bunch of weight as has been said. Second, I don't understand why a rigid shakes things loose. I rode a 1942 45 rigid for several years, and never had anything shake loose. Were the frames stronger back then? The frame never cracked either. I have never ridden a rigid without a pogo seat, but I sure would like to. Looks like a lot of fun, and that is why I ride.

Making your softail a hard tail by putting solid shocks on would be a whole different ball game than a rigid frame. Really would not be to hard to do though, and you could change it back real easy also. I might even do it just for fun.

Attached Thumbnails hardtail my softail-hd-softail-custom.jpg  
Old 09-14-2010, 12:28 PM
2006FLST
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim Kraft
First off, going with a rigid frame will take off a bunch of weight as has been said. Second, I don't understand why a rigid shakes things loose. I rode a 1942 45 rigid for several years, and never had anything shake loose. Were the frames stronger back then? The frame never cracked either. I have never ridden a rigid without a pogo seat, but I sure would like to. Looks like a lot of fun, and that is why I ride.

Making your softail a hard tail by putting solid shocks on would be a whole different ball game than a rigid frame. Really would not be to hard to do though, and you could change it back real easy also. I might even do it just for fun.

I agree with you sir. My old evo chop had stuff come loose due to the solid mount unbalanced motor. No diffferent than a 99 softail. Just a nature of the beast. Now if you rigid your bike should you take care to check stuff? Sure you should that is part of owning a bike like that and part of the fun of modifying. Also a spring seat makes a world of difference.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm wondering if I should start a new thread I want to hack the ***-end off and build a hardtail section much like they did in a Cycle Source issue 03/10 I belive. Except on a twinkie not an evo.
I think you would destroy your frame building struts for it. Little 1/4" thick bracket uner there would probably snap like a twig.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:17 PM
*NIGHT TRAIN*
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Threads like this remind me why the only 2 bike mags I buy anymore are Cycle Source and The Horse Backstreet Choppers.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:44 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

If your swing arm bracket is built like the one on my 99 Softail Custom, I don't think you could break it without hitting something hard enough to put you way above the bike, and then it would not matter anyway. I have mine lowered, and sometimes hitting potholes I hit bottom which is much harder on the swingarm bracket than if it was solid from the git go.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Lockman
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lfmn16
He won't feel so manly when his ***** shake off and he runs over them!

No need to test ride a rigid - just smack yourself in the nuts with a 2X4 and have your wife kick you in the kidneys - you'll get the idea.
WTF? I ride a '78 Ironhead Hardtail Bobber....it may not be a softail ride, but it sure as hell isn't a jackhammer. It's a blast to ride! Most of the $hit I hear about hardtails are from guy's that don't ride'em. I'm 45, I guess I'll change my mind some day. Just sayin'...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

I know a guy who has a softail Evo, chopped to look old-style. He has rigid struts on it, but he wants the stock struts back. Pretty rough ride, I guess. Lots of people do it over here, so it probably won't damage anything...but your back, maybe.

Quick Reply: hardtail my softail