Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:14 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 483 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Yeah, I've got that cam bearing tool, makes it super easy. It was well worth the money. Try to get the tank as empty as possible, makes it so much easier to handle without the weight. Go by the auto parts store and pick up a set of vacuum port caps. Clamp the fuel hose on either side of the tank, then cut off the pinch clamp on the opposite side. Start sliding the hose off the tank nipple and have the vacuum hose cap ready. As soon as the hose comes off, cap the nipple on the tank. The clamp on the other side of the backbone will keep the gas from coming out the hose, and obviously the cap keeps it from coming out the nipple. That will get the tank off with minimal spillage and then you can drain under control if you wish, or just set it out of the way as-is.

I'm very interested in the piston part too. Last time I dealt with pistons and rings, I screwed it up. That would be the biggest concern for me too.
Sgt Jim:
The vacuum cap works very well, I only take the hose off the left side and use a nozzle that comes with a tube of RTV to plug the hose. The other thing is I make sure I do this while the bike is still on the side stand and I also cover that corner of the engine with rags and hold a transmission funnel under the hose connection to catch what comes out. Bill is right you will be surprised at how much fuel is still there.

When you say piston ring tool I am assuming you are talking about installation pliers. Be careful to not open the ring too much. I hold the ring straight with my left hand wrapping my thumb and middle finger around the ring and use the pliers to open it just enough to get it on the piston. Start with the oil ring and work your way up to the top of the piston. The fuel moto video is very good and this is a pretty easy engine to work on

Having the cam tool makes the job so much easier. The mistake I made when I had my cam chest open was the the rotor and washer fell out of the oil pump and I put them back in wrong the washer goes between the rotors to separate the stages of the oil pump. There is no worse feeling than starting your engine and not having oil pressure

Good luck man!!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:20 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Sgt Jim:
The vacuum cap works very well, I only take the hose off the left side and use a nozzle that comes with a tube of RTV to plug the hose. The other thing is I make sure I do this while the bike is still on the side stand and I also cover that corner of the engine with rags and hold a transmission funnel under the hose connection to catch what comes out. Bill is right you will be surprised at how much fuel is still there.

When you say piston ring tool I am assuming you are talking about installation pliers. Be careful to not open the ring too much. I hold the ring straight with my left hand wrapping my thumb and middle finger around the ring and use the pliers to open it just enough to get it on the piston. Start with the oil ring and work your way up to the top of the piston. The fuel moto video is very good and this is a pretty easy engine to work on

Having the cam tool makes the job so much easier. The mistake I made when I had my cam chest open was the the rotor and washer fell out of the oil pump and I put them back in wrong the washer goes between the rotors to separate the stages of the oil pump. There is no worse feeling than starting your engine and not having oil pressure

Good luck man!!
I think I'm going to take the gas tank off while the bike is still outside, normally what I do is syphon out as much fuel as possible, then I have some air-hose tubing from a fish tank air filter and disconnect the crossover cable on the front of the tank, attach a piece of the tubing to each of those nubs, then tilt the tank forward and drain a little bit more out..it seems to work well enough.. but this time im going to do it all outside, then just have some friends help me push it up in to the house (as opposed to keeping a splash of gas in the tank and actually riding it in to the house)..

the piston rings i'm talking about (and off the top of my head i don't remember the names of them) are at the 13 minute mark of this video:

the ones that keep the thing from sliding out of the thing that keep the piston thing attached to the arm thing.. thing. :-D haha. That's all i'm really worried about. Oh well, if i stab myself with a screwdriver, it's only a few more drops of blood to the bike gods.

Old 12-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Joe_Brock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tree Huggers

As promised. 2010 FB Lo 16" LA Choppers Tree Hugger Apes.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:04 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anybody have pics of round style mirrors on a Lo and if so how you like them? I've been thinking about going with either HD's Dome Billet Style or Joker Machines' View Tech. HD's would be cheaper but I kind of like the holes in Joker's better. Seeing them on a Lo from a couple of different angles would be great.

Attached Thumbnails Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-760-617_a.jpg   Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners-92423_08_view2_22b60.jpg  
Old 12-11-2012, 11:14 PM
deadrider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampakingpin
Taking a long time To pull the trigger on apes. Has anyone had success with BR customs trying to figure out the wires and everything necessary if I had a custom set made?
I love my BR bars....

Old 12-12-2012, 12:47 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I think I'm going to take the gas tank off while the bike is still outside, normally what I do is syphon out as much fuel as possible, then I have some air-hose tubing from a fish tank air filter and disconnect the crossover cable on the front of the tank, attach a piece of the tubing to each of those nubs, then tilt the tank forward and drain a little bit more out..it seems to work well enough.. but this time im going to do it all outside, then just have some friends help me push it up in to the house (as opposed to keeping a splash of gas in the tank and actually riding it in to the house)..

the piston rings i'm talking about (and off the top of my head i don't remember the names of them) are at the 13 minute mark of this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwz-0j_gSfo

the ones that keep the thing from sliding out of the thing that keep the piston thing attached to the arm thing.. thing. :-D haha. That's all i'm really worried about. Oh well, if i stab myself with a screwdriver, it's only a few more drops of blood to the bike gods.
Dude, I watched all of those vids in that series. Talk about engine ****. Well, it was interesting to see how those jugs come off and back on again. I've pretty much done all the rest in that video already, so I wasn't too concerned about that. Good to know some of the small tips for when my day comes to do an upgrade.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

So.. yeah.. the fuel system is pressurized. I probably shouldn't have been as tired as I am when I brought the bike in to the dining room. It's going to be a lot of fun depressurizing it now :-D haha. Instructions.. where we come from we don't read no stinkin instructions..

at least it's premium..it smells and tastes better than regular. i'll just tell everyone the christmas tree farted.

Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 PM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
So.. yeah.. the fuel system is pressurized. I probably shouldn't have been as tired as I am when I brought the bike in to the dining room. It's going to be a lot of fun depressurizing it now :-D haha. Instructions.. where we come from we don't read no stinkin instructions..

at least it's premium..it smells and tastes better than regular. i'll just tell everyone the christmas tree farted.
I never depressurize. Grab a rag, wrap it around the quick release and remove it. There will be less than a tablespoon that goes into the rag. YMMV, and I don't want to be responsible for you getting gas everywhere, but again I never do anything to depressurize.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

and so it begins.. muwhaha. the quick disconnect fuel line barely even dribbled..was awesome.. my current problem is finding the right angle to get at the throttle body allen bolts.. the two rear ones (primary side) are easy, but the two front ones (intake side) are at an odd angle and making it difficult.. my neighbor has some ball-ended allen wrenches that may work well, but i wont be able to get my hands on them until tomorrow evening.. so im doing whatever else i can right now. Other than that, disassembly has been pretty straight forward.

edit: found one of my ball ended allen wrenches, made removing the throttle body a breeze.. it's funny..once you break the 4 bolts loose, there's like no tension on the bolts, they finger-thread straight out..
and in case anyone was curious..this is what the top of your heads look like:

Last edited by Sgt_Jim; 12-13-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 483 Likes on 259 Posts

Sgt Jim, those wrist pin retainers shouldn't be too much trouble, the originals are the same as those in the video (there is a relief in that piston too). Should be able to release them with an awl or small screw driver and use a hook shaped pick. Of course the service manual shows a fancy tool for installation, but the method in the video looks easy enough. Be sure to stuff plenty of rags around the rods because if that ring gets away from you, you know damn well it will end up down the crank case. Good luck man and keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners