Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 AM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Just got to the end of the 908 pages so far. I've been working through the tips and putting together my shopping list. But I've got a few questions:

I want to bob my fender as far back as possible. I thought about going for a swing-arm fender, but I don't want to give up having a pillion seat or the ability to carry luggage. This also restricts what I can do with the existing fender. I'm planning to take off the fender strut covers and chop it back to just before the mounting hole for the pillion seat. This should still allow me to put on the pillion, but because I've lost the full strut, I can't use any accessories that require the mounting points. I plan to lower using Shotgun Shocks.

1) Are there any sissy bars that can mount to just the front two mounting bolts (on the curved portion of the strut)? Not only for the pillion, but the law in the UK pretty much means that the licence plate will have to stay central, and so I'm think of mounting it on a shorty sissy bar to avoid losing the impact of the chopped fender.

2) The motherwell bracket looks like a good luggage solution. The three-hole mounting bracket (which fits the stock seat) looks more stable than the two-hole option. But if I put on an after-market seat which uses a hole further back, can I get the three-hole bracket underneath?

3) I'm thinking I need to prepare for getting some kind of screen, but don't like the vertical-wall effect of traditional screens. I could go with a Memphis Shades Bullet, but want to fit apes. Will I be able to find apes which will reach around the fairing or can it be easily (tidily) modified to fit? (I'm probably going for RSD King Apes)

I'm sure I've forgotton some of the questions that have come up as I've been reading, so I'll have to get back to you. I still have to resolve which pipes to get. In order of preference, I'm considering V&H BR2:2, BR2:1 and BSS. None of these appear to be UK-legal. So if a cop pulls up next to me or I start to pass one, I need a set where I can creep past on idle without attracting "too much" attention. I'm thinking this rules out the 2:2 even with quiet baffles. But I can pull off the 2:1? Do they have baffles too? Are the BSS quieter at all?

Last edited by peg20; 03-08-2013 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I flew into Albany, NY yesterday afternoon and woke up to a bunch of wet sticky snow. Leaving Saturday back to Sunny Santa Barbara,Ca.

Bill I hope your up and running again soon. Hate to lose good days of riding.
No tire until Monday (unless I go and get *** raped by the dealer), just when the weather changes back to rain.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:23 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Well this is how the day ended up... and we have sunny any 60 this weekend.

Flat rear after running through some glass that I couldn't avoid, a real bummer but good experience I guess.

Bill, your bike still looks bad ***, even up on the tow truck haha! Sorry for your bad luck man.

In other news, look what just arrived at my door today!

Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 PM
bauer4567
Tourer

Originally Posted by CaptainMorgan_SOS
Bill, your bike still looks bad ***, even up on the tow truck haha! Sorry for your bad luck man.

In other news, look what just arrived at my door today!
Which pipes did you go with? I hope those are the racing true duals from FP so I can see them on your bike and get a noise report from you!

Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bauer4567
Which pipes did you go with? I hope those are the racing true duals from FP so I can see them on your bike and get a noise report from you!
Haha, that they are! Sorry for the crappy pics. But man, these things are gorgeous! and massive! Unfortunately though, I won't be able to start the install until next week.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:11 PM
GriffinDenim13FLHX
Road Warrior
Received 120 Likes on 91 Posts

Real nice. That is gonna look good on the bike. Also I liked how the box said Made in the USA!. Love it

Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 PM
CaptainMorgan_SOS
Road Captain

Yeah man, DEFINITELY a quality product just from first impressions... we will see when I go to install them, but with enough blood, sweat and beer, anything can be accomplished!

So if anyone is looking for a swingarm bag in decent condition for cheap, hit me up. Also some V&H Twin Slash slip-ons (which sound absolutely fantastic by the way) for a good price. Shoot me an offer, all I can do is counter or just say "screw you" haha.

Last edited by CaptainMorgan_SOS; 03-08-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:40 AM
bblhead
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bauer4567
I am waiting for my new pipes to arrive. I went with the Black Declaration Turnouts.

All I have to do now is decide which EFI tuner to go with.

Ben

Old 03-09-2013, 07:21 AM
dizzy1450
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, I'm thinking about putting 2013 Lo handle bars on my 2011 for more rise and pull back. Will everything swap over? Will I need any new cables?
Thanks.

Last edited by dizzy1450; 03-09-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:48 AM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzy1450
Guys, I'm thinking about putting 2013 Lo handle bars on my 2011 for more rise and pull back. Will everything swap over? Will I need any new cables?
Thanks.
I did the same swap and things fit just fine, with the exception of the upper ABS brake line. If you have ABS you will need a longer line. I ordered a line for a 2012 Fatboy LO, There was no need to take the tank off as you can slide it back enough to get to your connections. Took about an hour or two, to do the swap.

Quick Reply: Calling all FatBoy Lo Owners