Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 08:43 AM
wehaasjr51
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer problems

Been awhile since I`ve been here but I have a speedometer problem I need fixed. You guys seem to have your finger on the pulse of a lot of speedo problems but mine is a little different.
When I last had my bike serviced, the speedo would show slower the faster I rode. Then the speedo just stopped working. Funny as it may seem, the odometer kept working and it was correct with the miles ridden. Somewhere about 25 miles into the ride the speedo came back alive and worked all the way home. All rides after that the speedo has not worked but the odometer has and correctly according to the mileage signposts on the roadways. All the info I have been reading about said the vss was either nasty or needed to be replaced, so I replaced it. Nothing, still the same problem. Now to complicate the mess, the warning light in the fuel gauge is on, the tank is half full, and the needle goes all the way to full.
The bike runs well. No problems there. It is a 2003 Heritage Softail, fuel injected. 55,556 miles.

Old 07-01-2023, 09:28 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,412 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by wehaasjr51
Been awhile since I`ve been here but I have a speedometer problem I need fixed. You guys seem to have your finger on the pulse of a lot of speedo problems but mine is a little different.
When I last had my bike serviced, the speedo would show slower the faster I rode. Then the speedo just stopped working. Funny as it may seem, the odometer kept working and it was correct with the miles ridden. Somewhere about 25 miles into the ride the speedo came back alive and worked all the way home. All rides after that the speedo has not worked but the odometer has and correctly according to the mileage signposts on the roadways. All the info I have been reading about said the vss was either nasty or needed to be replaced, so I replaced it. Nothing, still the same problem. Now to complicate the mess, the warning light in the fuel gauge is on, the tank is half full, and the needle goes all the way to full.
The bike runs well. No problems there. It is a 2003 Heritage Softail, fuel injected. 55,556 miles.

Have you done any work recently that involved removing the speedo and/or the fuel tank?

There are connectors involved that can affect each of those issues..

I believe you have two different problems...

I believe you may have an issue with your actual speedometer. If it was a bad VSS, I suspect you wouldn't still have proper odometer readings. Additionally, a bad VSS will also keep the turn signals from self-cancelling

I'd look up how to test the speedometer itself for proper function.

The fuel gauge is independent and I believe just works off signals from the fuel level sender in 2003.

I don't know what exactly trips the low fuel light. I think it's just based on the signal from the fuel level sender.

There is a connector under the speedo console, on top of the tank, that reads the float in the tank (as well as controlling the fuel pump). There is another three wire connector for the gauge itself that comes out the bottom of the tank on the left side, and connects to the bike's harness along the left side of the frame's backbone.

If you have removed the tanks and those connectors, the pins can be bent on reassembly and it WILL affect the fuel gauge.. I know this from personal experience with my 2003 Heritage.

I'd check those connectors mentioned for dirty/corroded/crimped wires if they have not been removed. Just be careful on reassembly. If they check out OK, you may have an issue with the fuel gauge or the fuel level sender in the tank.

It wouldn't hurt to put some Techron fuel treatment in your tank. It will sometimes clean up otherwise dirty fuel level sender contacts.

Good luck with your diagnosis and keep us posted on what you find

Old 07-12-2023, 03:07 PM
deluxe
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wehaasjr51
My 06 went bod a few years ago. Had to get the sensor replaced inside the speedometer. Been fine ever since.