Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage on the freeway over 80 mph !!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

At least 50% of my riding is between 75 -85mph with a 5 speed. Above 75 I notice an increase in vibration through the grips but nothing bad or unstable.

If this is what you are experiencing you just need a little more riding time to get used to it

Old 06-29-2010, 10:14 AM
03sporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XARAN
At least 50% of my riding is between 75 -85mph with a 5 speed. Above 75 I notice an increase in vibration through the grips but nothing bad or unstable.

If this is what you are experiencing you just need a little more riding time to get used to it
I concur.... You will get some vibration at that speed through the bars. I just make sure I relax my hands so they won't go numb. Otherwise this is normal for a softail. Mine is a 6 speed, and there's still vibration. My wife's 2010 is a little smoother than mine.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,683 Likes on 3,918 Posts
Default ???Speed???

Slow down and drive what's comfortable to you within the speed limit. You are going to have some vibration. The tires are like a rocks compared to a car and a lot closer to each other so you get a lot more rock that after a while you do not notice. I'm at a lost to why someone has the urge to exceed the speed limit as much as they say. That's reckless driving in VA. Drive what society has made a law to do and enjoy you bike. Driving reckless is killing innocent people. At 100mph on a public highway makes you a terrorist with a 700+ pound hand held missile. Grow up.

Just my opinion but I live it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 06-29-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:53 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

90% of my riding is country backroads and small highways...so 60-65 MPH.

However, I do have to use the super slab sometimes and run 75 to 80 MPH no problems at all. I've run 300 miles before at 80 the whole way and I swear the bike could do that forever.

She may not have the "comfort" features of the tourers, but performance wise I could ride to the moon.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:21 AM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got an 09 heritage classic, and I have not trouble on freeways at speeds of 80 or higher. I think I got it to hit 110 once before I decided not to tempt the wrath of cops in a 55 zone.

And I strongly disagree with the statement that Softails are not made for touring!! they so are absolutely sweet touring bikes

Old 06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Even with my 5 speed 80 is fine, 90 is good too. I rode back from Laughlin the first year I went at about 100 almost the entire way 2 up.

Drew

Old 06-29-2010, 11:25 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by grf000
Slow down and drive what's comfortable to you within the speed limit. You are going to have some vibration. The tires are like a rocks compared to a car and a lot closer to each other so you get a lot more rock that after a while you do not notice. I'm at a lost to why someone has the urge to exceed the speed limit as much as they say. That's reckless driving in VA. Drive what society has made a law to do and enjoy you bike. Driving reckless is killing innocent people. At 100mph on a public highway make you a terrorist with a 700+ pound hand held missile. Grow up.

Just my opinion but I live it.
I ride So Cal Freeways 135 miles a day rt to work, my morning ride is before the traffic and if your not going 75 or greater you will have a lot of cages up your rear end since the avg speed of traffic is 75 plus if its not rush hour here.

Same holds true for weekends unless you are in the slow lane the car pool and #1 lanes on the 405, 5 , 14 fwy are always running at 75 and above.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Rabbit_
Road Captain

Originally Posted by pacificrider
Just got an 08 Heritage. Great solid ride. I know these are not made for touring
Since when has a Heritage not been made for touring?
I regularly run 75 to 85 on the highway with no problems or vibrations.
Check your tires for air pressure and if they're balanced properly, that and get the steering head checked as it may be too tight.
A combination of these could be the cause of your unpleasant riding experience.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,683 Likes on 3,918 Posts
Default Comfort

Now that I got my rant out of the way, If you have a vibration type of fill it very well could be the tire balance. My bike always had a slight buzz in the bars at 65. Had been that way last three tires from the Dealer. Got a Star al wheel that came with a Metzler tire on it off e-bay. Bike was smooth as silk at 65. The only thing I can figure is the dealer does not have a good system set up to balance his tires.

To XARAN 135 miles a day rt to work, my morning ride is before the traffic and if your not going 75 or greater you will have a lot of cages up your rear end since the avg speed of traffic is 75 (I'm too old for that--its crazy enough around here during the day- however I leave work at 12AM and there maybe 10-20 cars on my 6 mile interstate drive--I'm blessed)

Old 06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
03sporty
Cruiser

A couple of buddies of mine went with the balance beads in the tires. They really seem to like them. I about ready for tires, and I will get rid of my Dunflops and go with Avon's with the beads. If anybody has any experience with beads good or bad please post.....

Quick Reply: Heritage on the freeway over 80 mph !!!