Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:53 PM
proud1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question brake light stays on

Whats up I have a 2005 Fatboy that I recently got painted and for so reason now my brake light is always on when the key is turn on to the on position. Ive check bulbs and plugs and every thing was put from where I took it off when I disassembled it. Would any one have any suggestions. Also when i put the rear fender on i noticed the gap in between the tire and fender were off the right side i can stick my fingers though and the left side I cant is that normal

Old 07-08-2010, 10:42 PM
6fthook
Advanced

Not sure if it's the same with the softails, but when I had my Sportster I had the same problem. When the brake lever is at rest, there is a tab on it that presses on a button in the hand control assembly which shuts off the brake light. When you press the brake lever, the tab on it moves away and doesn't press on the button anymore which then turns on the brake light. For my Sportster the tab fell out somehow, and the button was constantly not pressed in and so my brake light was always one. I super-glued a small tab which I cut from an old credit card onto the inside of the lever to press on the button while the brake lever was at rest. Worked for the next year or so while I still had the bike.

Again, not sure if softails are the same.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:53 AM
07Fatty
Tourer

They are, I would check that

Old 07-09-2010, 07:11 AM
sniper77
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check the rear brake light switch. Follow the brake line from the caliper and where it is mounted to the frame below the transmission you should see the switch. Unplug one wire on the switch: if your brake light goes out the rear switch has gone bad.

Old 07-09-2010, 07:59 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Like others have said, it sounds like the switch at the brake lever. This is easily damaged and is an expensive little switch ($30 or so). They are easy to rip the rubber protective covering off of and over time the switch corrodes. My thoughts are either they damaged it while putting the bike back together or it was ripped previously and some paint shop supplies have gotten in there and caused it to fail.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Old school 48
Stage I

I had the same problem with the switch, I put a dab of silicone rtv on it now works excellent, and helps prevent water from entering the rubber boot.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:32 PM
HDFatboy98
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you broke the plunger in the front brake switch go buy some brass self tapping screw and that'll fix it.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:34 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sniper77
Check the rear brake light switch. Follow the brake line from the caliper and where it is mounted to the frame below the transmission you should see the switch. Unplug one wire on the switch: if your brake light goes out the rear switch has gone bad.
^^^ this.. That switch is notorious for going out. That would be where I would start.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,867 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Considering he had the problem 3 years ago, I'm hoping he's fixed it by now.

Maybe he can chime back in to let everyone know what it was... for future reference, of course.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:26 PM
rockinred
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Considering he had the problem 3 years ago, I'm hoping he's fixed it by now.

Maybe he can chime back in to let everyone know what it was... for future reference, of course.
lol... what an idiot I am. ha! Just goes to show never take for granted. I've been on all sorts of boards for years and haven't did this. lol

but, I am sure he would chime in to say the switch housing was bad. if he even owns the bike anymore.

Quick Reply: brake light stays on