Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

metallic whine/noise from rear after tire change

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 04:16 PM
lastson
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default metallic whine/noise from rear after tire change

Changed the rear out when i changed my front to both being metz tires. This was done by a friend who owns a small time bike shop, he mainly does Crotch Rockets but has changed Harley tires before with no issues, watched him do a Street Glide over the weekend when mine was waiting to go up on the lift. We have checked the alignment and its dead on on both sides. It only does it or I only notice it after the bike is warm and im coming to a stop from a slow roll. He said the bearings look fine that its not them or the spacers. I do know that its on my last nerve though.

So before I take it to the dealership any ideas?

Read the other threads on here about it being the spacer not lined up properly with the bearing but from what he said thats not the case. I'm just one of those people that pesky noises drive me bat **** crazy.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:44 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i had something like that and they dealer put the belt guard on the wrong side of the mount and the guard would make a noise when coming to a stop. it was rubbing the pulley. check a new bike or the manual for the order it goes on.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 PM
lastson
Tourer

lower belt guard is off i have to get it ground down about 1/4 of an inch. it could be that but i would think it would make the noise before also. im f'n clueless as to what it is.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:56 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brake caliper?...did they tighten it back up?..duce might not need to take off but have to on the 200 tire/rim

Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Belt tension?

CC

Old 09-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Take a bar of hand soap and apply a coating to the outside edge of your drive belt. Jack the bike up and while someone rotates the rear tire in neutral, hold the bar of soap to the edge of the drive belt. If the noise goes away your belt tension is too tight.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:13 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lastson
lower belt guard is off i have to get it ground down about 1/4 of an inch. it could be that but i would think it would make the noise before also. im f'n clueless as to what it is.
run it without the belt guard and see if the noise is gone

Old 09-03-2010, 10:32 PM
lastson
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Take a bar of hand soap and apply a coating to the outside edge of your drive belt. Jack the bike up and while someone rotates the rear tire in neutral, hold the bar of soap to the edge of the drive belt. If the noise goes away your belt tension is too tight.
Bam! That is something we actually did that I forgot completely about while the rear was jacked up he put a little bit of hand soap on the outer edges of the belt and sure enough it quieted down. But came back after I left the shop. Is this something I can loosen myself or let the dealership handle?

Old 09-20-2010, 07:43 PM
dennisb464
Intermediate

You can do it yourself but you will need to get the back tire off the ground, loosen the axel nuts, check the tension with a HD tool, re align the rear wheel, and torque the axel nut again. I have done it and made my own alingment tool with advise from this forum. It is time and tools versus $100 of shop time. If you don't already have the tools It might be cheaper to have a shop do it. I put my lower belt cover on wrong side of the bracket once and it rubbed on the pully. Only did that once. Good luck.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:08 PM
Jim Kraft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 113 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a case on my 99 Softail Custom where after changing the rear tire it was rubbing on the licsence plate bracket. It was just enough bigger that it rubbed. Bike was lowered about an inch, but the old worn tire did not rub.