Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

15% Ethanol coming to a gas station near you soon !

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:13 PM
badinc1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 15% Ethanol coming to a gas station near you soon !

15% Ethanol coming to a gas station near you soon !

You can thank a politician for this.

As if 10% ethanol didn't mess up our vehicles enough, so now they are raising it to 15%.

FYI, check your owners manuals on your bikes and cars. Many manufactures will VOID your warranty if you use ethanol in any concentration higher than 10%.

Ethanol gas eats aluminum, rubber, and plastic. It also attracts condensation, which also screws-up your gasoline. I've seen it fill-up a carbs foat bowl up with a white color battery like corrosion and gas colored gum, blocking all the jets and ports.
Ethanol also has no self life, with it going bad in as little as 3 weeks. So... the more Ethanol in the gas, the worse the self life, the worse the corrosion and eatting of aluminum, plastic, and rubber, and more water in the fuel.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/US-Said-to-Allow-Rise-in-bloomberg-701169662.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=7&asset=&cco de=

Old 10-14-2010, 07:16 PM
WWECOUGAR
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok. Whatever. But what oil are you running?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:34 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The gas now has ruined the plastic tanks on several of my small lawn tools (hedge trimmer, leaf blower). I hear that its really rough on air cooled engines. I also heard that the 15% ethanol fuel was on hold until a study can be done to make sure it does not harm certain engines

Old 10-15-2010, 03:48 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not going to happen for a few years... and then it will be sold side by side with the crappy gas we getting now....

my gut feeling is the next administration will change it anyway.....

CC

Old 10-15-2010, 03:58 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer

There's got to be a way to fight all this. Even with the current 10%, it's nothing short of watering down the fuel all the while, the prices keep going up. The government seems to want to stick their noses into every other aspect of our lives (ie national healthcare), but seem to care nothing about a commodity that is CRUCIAL (unfortunately) to our economy and national security.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:41 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so let me do the math. 10% can cause as much as 30% drop in MPG. so you burn cleaner and you get X amount less pollution per gallon but you consume 30% more fuel. Seems like that is increase in the amount of pollution per mile. Sounds like fuzzy math.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:52 AM
badinc1
Cruiser

‎50% BTU content compared to gasoline makes it pretty much a joke without radical engine mods like super high compression ratios, to produce the same output of travel or work requires twice the amount of ethanol as gasoline, pretty stupid, making that fuel source compete with a food source is even more stupid.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:53 AM
badinc1
Cruiser

There are 251 million cars in the U.S. vs. 38 million cars in Brazil.
Plus you still haven't counted all the lawnmowers, snowblowers, motorcycles, snowmobiles, boats, antique cars, hot rods, leaf blowers, chainsaws, farm tractors, and so on ...the wasn't designed to run on ethanol gasoline.
This crap really raises havoc with these engines.
I have a local carb rebuilding repair shop, and he has been so busy ever since ethanol has been added to gasoline rebuilding carbs, as the ethanol is just eatting them up. Ethanol eats into aluminum, plastic, and rubber.
There is more stuff out there that isn't designed to run on ethanol than stuff that is.
My hot rods can only run on ethanol treated gasoline for 2 weeks. After that, it's start hard but won't idle. 3 weeks after using the ethanol treated gasoline, it won't even start, and I have to rebuild the carbs. When I take them apart, they are filled with what looks like white battery corrosion, and a gas color gum, that is blocking all the ports and jets.
Nice stuff !
Bobby.

Last edited by badinc1; 10-15-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 07:46 AM
badinc1
Cruiser

Perhaps this is off the deep end, but...its just one more cog in the wheel of a nation being able to control its population. the very slow restriction of rights, rising of inflation, dependence on government subsidies (on a mass scale and only getting bigger), rising price of fuel limiting free travel for many, creation of fuels with a short shelf life (and getting shorter), further restriction of free travel when fuel supplies suddenly run short during a 'natural disaster/accident', and the introduction of fuels that can only be used successfully in a smaller percentage of road worthy vehicles. we are the ONLY nation on the planet that enjoys the freedoms that we have...and we want to base our future on models from countries that are historically poor/not free?

We base our fuel source (our means of independence) on corn. so, what happens when the midwest experiences an unusually harsh winter, flooding, tornadoes, hail storms, drought, or plant disease/infection? do we not eat, or do we not drive? probably wont be able to afford to do either...my $0.10 (inflation).

Old 10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
akhenaten
Tourer

We shouldn't be using F@#$ing FOOD for fuel anyway! All I can do is hope that the stations in OK that refuse ethanol keep up their good work.

Quick Reply: 15% Ethanol coming to a gas station near you soon !