Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project "Clean Bars"

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project "Clean Bars"

Ok guys and gals I have taken on another project to clean up my sled. I have decided to go with Carlini Flying Apes in the 1 1/2" version. Along with the Bra risers. With these new bars I am going to attempt to run all the wiring, front brake line, and throttle cable in the bars. I have ordered the Streamline internal throttle, Thunder Cycle grips, Drag 3/16" brake line kit with chrome fittings, and still have to measure the throttle cable to order it. Which I think will be the hardest to figure out since it is only one cable throttle. I am going to make a return spring on the carb to help the throttle come back. Now the throttle cable brand I am real unsure of right now. Streamline said to go with a jet ski throttle cable since they are small, braided cable(not talking about the outside covering), and can withstand weather better(stainless). So I hope to have this go smooth and will share my info and part numbers when they come about. Now for you men that hate reading here is your picture story. Lol these arrived tonight to start the project. Now also I work three jobs so please be patient with me this may take a few weeks. Lol

Old 11-23-2010, 08:40 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master

And pics

The Bra risers. Sorry but I am a chest kind of man...

Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gonna look sick bro. Cant go wrong with any of the carlinis. One of my favorite mods that I did. Total Satisfaction. Also the guys at carlini are top notch also. I had a bud of mine who had some problems with a set of risers, one of the pistons was chipped. The guys over there sent him one out rite away. I just wish all aftermarket companies was like them. Dont companies know that sites like these exist? Just like with Dr. V twin, Ive had nothing but great service with them also. Sorry for the rant fireman, just sayin. Be sure to post pics when you get her done.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master

Using a shoe string to measure the throttle cable length.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:54 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

After I got off the phone with you today my gear started turning. I can't wait to see how this turns out as there is a lot of room left inside my 1.5" bars.

Drew

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,212 Likes on 462 Posts

I've got the Streamline throttle on my Sloptail. Very well-made unit. You can pretty much just buy one of the longest cables they make 'cause you're going to cut the end to install it at the Streamline. Bars are simple drags made of 1" stainless tubing I bent. I don't have switches, etc. on the bars, so no wiring to hide, and the smaller diameter precludes running both the throttle & brake line through 'em. I run an older '70's era 3/4" bore master cylinder to operate both front and rear calipers.

How are you routing the brake line from the master cylinder into the bars?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:28 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks good man. I'm good to help out next week and possibly over the weekend too. After the holiday I ummmmmm....recover, lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:37 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master

What cable did you use? Brand? And when you cut the cable how did you keep it from fraying? I am going to need a 60" to 62" cable on mine.

Originally Posted by pococj
I've got the Streamline throttle on my Sloptail. Very well-made unit. You can pretty much just buy one of the longest cables they make 'cause you're going to cut the end to install it at the Streamline. Bars are simple drags made of 1" stainless tubing I bent. I don't have switches, etc. on the bars, so no wiring to hide, and the smaller diameter precludes running both the throttle & brake line through 'em. I run an older '70's era 3/4" bore master cylinder to operate both front and rear calipers.

How are you routing the brake line from the master cylinder into the bars?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:46 PM
Fireman1501
Road Master

I am using the 3/16" brake line. Just drilling a hole in the bars right next to the master cylinder and routing the little line down the bars.

Will have this look but line will be going into the bars closer to the master cylinder. I will have a straight fitting coming out of the master cylinder also.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going to look great.
I looked at
http://www.customcyclecontrols.com/i...prod/prd50.htm
When playing around with the idea of eveything internal.

P.S. I noticed your lock nut on the shifter **** needs painted black or red...

Quick Reply: Project "Clean Bars"