Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit for saddlebags Worth it????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 07:46 PM
dpayne7571
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit for saddlebags Worth it????

Does anyone have this for their heritage softail? Was wondering if it really helps with keeping the look for the bags for the price of 139.00. Thanks for any suggestions or comments!

Old 12-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I've got it, installed it myself and like it. It doesn't come with the lock, you have to order the lock seperately. Also, it requires special glue, I ordered it direct from 3M.

Only thing I don't like is with the metal frame installed, you're limited as to what will fit through the opening to the bags. Metal doesn't "give" like leather does.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Brad2064
Advanced

Talldog, if you had to do it again would you go with Harley for the kit or get a different kit through saggybags etc?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:10 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad2064
Talldog, if you had to do it again would you go with Harley for the kit or get a different kit through saggybags etc?
Wish I could help you, but I'm not familiar with that kit. The Harley kit does a good job of maintaining the shape of the bags, it's just that if say, you wanted to store a half-helmet in the bags, it won't fit past the metal frame.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:41 AM
whit42
Advanced

Installed the saggy bags kit on my heritage and they have held up quite well. My bags were only about 1 yr. old so the install was fairly simple. They also do not reduce the opening size of your bags.
There are several options available for what you are looking for, including Boss Bags which are among the best but a little pricey. If I remember right, the saggy bags kit was around 120.00
Take your time to look around. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:00 PM
ITUFFS
2nd Gear

Has anyone installed the INERTIAwrx Stealth Talon Lock System https://lockitt.com/saddlebag-locking-system.html and what do they think?

Old 02-17-2020, 07:25 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by ITUFFS
Has anyone installed the INERTIAwrx Stealth Talon Lock System https://lockitt.com/saddlebag-locking-system.html and what do they think?
I ordered this lock system for my leather tour pak.

The spring broke on the locking arm after around a dozen uses.
The manufacture apologized and sent me a replacement.

The second spring broke within a short period of time and I didn't bother asking for a replacement.
I just put in a large rubber band to hold the locking arm up.

After a few months the lock stripped out and I had to drill out the lock mounting screws in order to get into the tour pak.
I contacted the manufacture and they apologized and sent me another lock.

I ended up reversing the lock mounting screws so if something broke again I had a way to get into my tour pak without having to drill anything.
Sure this renders the tour pak less secure but if somebody wants in it, they will need a torx driver and a little extra time.

This is a good design but has poor manufacturing.
I would not buy this again.

After the issues with my tour pak I decided to go with the "Gotsaggybags" Invisaloc setup.
It's kind of a pain to lock and unlock the padlocks but after you've done it a few times it's not that big of a deal.
https://www.gotsaggybags.com/category/INVISALOC.html

With the Invisaloc setup you don't visibly alter the bag so if it doesn't work out for you all you're out is the cost of the lock setup.
With the INERTIAwrx Stealth Talon Lock System you have drill out a visible area of the bag to put in the lock in and once you've done that the lock is going to be there forever if not for any other reason but to hide the hole you had to drill into your bag.

I've since converted to hard bags which is obviously much more secure.

Last edited by Bluraven; 02-17-2020 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:43 PM
Jerry L
Road Warrior
Received 246 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Talldog
Wish I could help you, but I'm not familiar with that kit. The Harley kit does a good job of maintaining the shape of the bags, it's just that if say, you wanted to store a half-helmet in the bags, it won't fit past the metal frame.
I didn’t know HD had a stiffener kit for leather bags. Any links or names so I can find it? I was only familiar with Gotsaggybags (they’re on sale on their website now). Thanks!

Old 02-17-2020, 11:49 PM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,430 Likes on 2,825 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L
I didn’t know HD had a stiffener kit for leather bags. Any links or names so I can find it? I was only familiar with Gotsaggybags (they’re on sale on their website now). Thanks!
It's designed for Heritage bags, https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...top---lock-kit. I have it. It does keep the top of the bags flat and clean looking. Includes lock brackets, but you have to buy the locks separately. I special ordered the locks to match my bike key (they are barrel locks). The locks "work", but if someone really wanted to get in, they could probably just rip the lid open, i.e. its not an especially sturdy lock, although it would at least slow someone down.

BTW, after looking online at the Lockitt product, my first thought was it looks too complicated as well as flimsy, thus seemingly easy to fail.

Last edited by crtfibl; 02-17-2020 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 03:45 AM
04FXDI
Stellar HDF Member
Received 814 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry L

I did the Leather Lids version, I'm very happy with it.

https://leatherlidinserts.com/shop/2...lebag-inserts/

Quick Reply: Heritage Flat Top & Lock Kit for saddlebags Worth it????