Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I use a female shifter peg on my Deluxe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 AM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Can I use a female shifter peg on my Deluxe?

I bought grips and would like the matching toe peg below. But all the shifter pegs I see on Harley's website are all male, and this one is female.

Will I still be able to use it? I would think all I would need to do is find the right size threader?

(cut me some slack, I'm a chick and still learning about mods)

Thanks!

http://www.smtmachining.com/products.asp?PRODUCT_ID=148

Old 12-07-2010, 10:38 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't see why you couldn't. Take the stock shifter peg off and go to a Ace Hardware. They have displays with different size bolts and nuts to make sure of the sizing and thread.

They have hardened bolts that you could cut the head off and use red loctite to attach to the female peg and then mount it as a normal peg.

Old 12-07-2010, 01:02 PM
studiopeg
Road Warrior
Received 62 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Kowan
I don't see why you couldn't. Take the stock shifter peg off and go to a Ace Hardware. They have displays with different size bolts and nuts to make sure of the sizing and thread.

They have hardened bolts that you could cut the head off and use red loctite to attach to the female peg and then mount it as a normal peg.
Thanks I figured it would be something like that. I really want my shifter peg to match my grips!

Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM
Bobby M
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you might be able to get a piece of all thread and cut it to length. Thread the majority of the all thread into your new peg allowing it to bottom out. You have now converted your female peg into a male peg and it should thread right into your shifter.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:12 PM
ejvette
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts

If your not inclined to deal with it...take it to a local shop and say "make this work"

Old 12-07-2010, 06:08 PM
jerseyjimk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

p.m. sent

Old 12-07-2010, 06:19 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by studiopeg
Thanks I figured it would be something like that. I really want my shifter peg to match my grips!
I had someone on the Forum make me a pair of matching shifter pegs. They look awesome. You will be surprised the difference something like that makes. He matched my Leroy Thompson grips to the tee.

Old 12-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Dustmaker
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WOW...those are cool! It says in the ad what you size you need to get...

"They have a 5/16 inch X 24 pitch female thread on the end for easy bolt-on application. IT'S EASY.....DO IT YOUR SELF!!!"

Get them on and show us some pics!

Jimmy

Old 12-07-2010, 08:16 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dustmaker
WOW...those are cool! It says in the ad what you size you need to get...

"They have a 5/16 inch X 24 pitch female thread on the end for easy bolt-on application. IT'S EASY.....DO IT YOUR SELF!!!"

Get them on and show us some pics!

Jimmy
What Jimmy said ....

Since 5/16 x 24 (24 threads per inch)is oem standard threads on the Harley shifter pegs...What i would do is go to your local Ace Hardware and buy a 1 1/2" 5/16 X 24 (Or longer if they have it) chrome buttonhead bolt and thread it into your shifter until it stops, then put some threadlocker on the exposed threads and thread your female shifter on. No problemo.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by luvtoride
What Jimmy said ....

Since 5/16 x 24 (24 threads per inch)is oem standard threads on the Harley shifter pegs...What i would do is go to your local Ace Hardware and buy a 1 1/2" 5/16 X 24 (Or longer if they have it) chrome buttonhead bolt and thread it into your shifter until it stops, then put some threadlocker on the exposed threads and thread your female shifter on. No problemo.
Do'h. Good call luvtoride. I had tunnel vision glasses on and didn't even see the specs. Putting a button head through the rear side of the shifter is a perfect way to do it.

Quick Reply: Can I use a female shifter peg on my Deluxe?