Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

$2700 budget to upgrade stock Fat Boy Lo.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Ockam
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $2700 budget to upgrade stock Fat Boy Lo.

Well, the wife gave me a green light for a budget of $2000 to upgrade my (almost) Stock Fat Boy Lo. With the cash I have squirreled away and gift cards, I have $2700 to spend.

I have a 96" engine, SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner, stock everything else including pipes.

I am fishing for suggestions. So far I only have 1 restriction:

I need to get rigid leather saddle bags. I commute and do road trips so they are a must. And yes, it is too late to get a Road King, besides I like my Lo.

As a side note, my dealer is offering a SE Stage I engine upgrade from a 96 to a 103 for $1585. They also offer a SE Stage II 103 upgrade for $2555.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blah engine upgrades. Get pipes, and wheels and bars jmo if you want suspension go shotgun make those long hauls even better

Old 12-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 191 Posts

Wish I had the cash for the Shotgun. Bars are a must. Lowers look good powder coated on those bikes.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:46 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Sounds like you want performance before style and that's probably a good thing. If you do an engine build that includes expanding CI's, I would look into Fuel Moto's 107" kit. It will outperform that SE stage II by a long shot for half the price.

Go with a good 2-1 pipe to up the ante on performance even further. Thunderheader or D&D Fatcat are probably your best bets and they look better than most other 2-1s, imo.

Tune in to this thread for some good ideas on style.

Can't really help you on the bags (mine are Fox Creek - probably not what you're looking for), but I'm sure somebody here will chime in with some good suggestions.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
Blah engine upgrades. Get pipes, and wheels and bars jmo if you want suspension go shotgun make those long hauls even better
I agree with bobber, I can smoke the back tire off my bike (done it) and run 110mph so no need to up grade engine! Get pipes and shotgun shock, those are the 2 most satisfying mods you can do bro.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:57 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

If you can wrench yourself install a cam to wake that motor up, a 2n1 pipe and get it tuned. It will run completely different without breaking the bank. And you will have plenty left for bags and some other goodies. Maybe passing lamps or different bars.... If you are patient, shop the classifieds here and on craigslist. Its amazing how much you can save and get done.

Xaran is selling his bags for a great price.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...bull-bags.html

Shotgun shocks for $1500 - thats what I spent for PM wheels, a 2n1, passing lamps, leds, r/b/t module, C and C seat and bags with ez brackets and a cam (installed myself). It depends on how deep your pockets are and if you have the patience to shop classifieds.

Last edited by KumaRide; 12-21-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
CJinNH
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in similar budget land doing almost the same. I'm getting the D&D Fatcat, Stage 1 AC, saddle bags, and passing lights. A friend does custom Harley paint...we'll see where that one goes. Without the paint, I'll be spending a little over a grand. I also need to add chromed lowers...then the only thing left for the year would be wheels and just tweaking cables and other accessories. At some point cams, but not for a while, I don't need it to be fast - I'm a f&$ing nut as it is with speed, I don't need to go faster.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
SuspendedUser
Banned

pipes and shotgun shock

Old 12-21-2010, 10:50 AM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would say get the baggertail put RK custom bags on new cam and a good two into one exhaust. If you have money left over get new bars. Having the extra storage sounds like a must for you. You may also want to look at Boss bags or Leather Pros bags. While I am sure new shocks are nice you may want to save a little and get a new seat. While I understand the "I dont hot rod" comments earlier it is extremely nice to have the power when needed to make a quick pass or evasive maneuver. Plus having the constant extra weight you will like having more torque. Do look on craigslist, ebay , here and other forums. I have gotten 95% of my mods from these sources and have saved thousands. Good luck

Old 12-21-2010, 10:58 AM
Sash302
Road Warrior

you got the air cleaner now you need the pipes and some sort of tuner,to get the bike to run right.

Quick Reply: $2700 budget to upgrade stock Fat Boy Lo.