Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Fork Trees

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 PM
C. Rocker
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Fork Trees

I want to go to a 21" or 23" front wheel on the Rocker, however, this will change my trail to 6.53 and 7.09" with the stock 1 degree raked tree, respectively. I am not willing to go past 6" of trail max, because the steering gets floppy enough as it is now, when easing up to a complete stop, with the stock 5.98" of trail. Dropping the forks 2" actually increases trail by .04" in both cases.

So my only option is to go to a more radical raked tree. A 3 degree raked tree will drop trail to 5.15" and 5.7". I have called Troy at Accutronix. They have NOT developed a raked tree for the Rocker yet, because it is unique among the Softails with its own frame neck with internal stops and unique lock mechanism, like no other Softail. and the then their is the issue of the mid-glide front end width.

Roy said that they might be willing to develop a raked tree for the Rocker forks, if he could get his hands on a stock Rocker fork tree, so that he could duplicate the stops and lock tabs.

THE QUESTION: (I know you have all been waiting) Would one of you that have replaced your Rocker front end be willing to give, or sell very cheaply, your stock triple tree to me, so that I can send it to Accutronix? I will have to pay development costs for my one-off, I guess. I just dont want to take my own bike out of service that long. He is in Phoenix, if any of you wanted to drop yours off there.

So what do you think? Can somebody help me out?

Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 PM
rockerz
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

call Rich at Bitchin' seat company, he will help you out. www.bitchinseats.com they are in the works

Last edited by rockerz; 01-21-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:51 PM
C. Rocker
Novice

I will sure do it. Didn't realize that they did fork trees.

Old 01-21-2011, 09:03 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Drew getting me a Heartland 21" wheel for mine. Sticking with the stock trees.

Old 01-22-2011, 01:33 AM
j33ptj
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

I got a stock tree, 21" wheel and using the drop kit from Progressive Suspension lowered the front end 1"

It rides fine, no need for a new tree!!!

Robert

Old 01-22-2011, 02:20 PM
lazyboy09
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually everything I've read has the stock trail at 6.2". This is the first I've heard of the stock trees being raked at all. With the rake/trail table I found online it doesn't add up if using that extra degree, as it takes out nearly an inch and a half of trail. With figuring a typical 21" tire and 2" shorter forks the number is pretty close to stock. Not saying I'm right, just coming up with different numbers. Also I don't know about everyone else, but I don't get that floppyness you speak of. Maybe a bearing or tire issue?
Name:  meriding2.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  4.0 KB

Old 01-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Joe What
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know numbers, once upon a time I factored all the rake and trail numbers but said screw it lets apply the theory. here is what I found. I relaced my stock frontend with a standard length front end designed for a 84-99 softail standard with five degree rake. This frontend is about an inch shorter than the stock rocker frontend. with the rake it actually lowers the bike a bit more which is nice with my 21" wheel, the bike sits fairly level at my riding height. As far as the "wobble" that some of you describe, I have no answer for it. My bike does not wobble at any speeds.. I know the rake and trail numbers are designed to keep you in a safe zone however all theory and no practical application will get you nowwhere.. I say run with it..IMHO

Old 01-22-2011, 07:18 PM
C. Rocker
Novice

I talked with an independent Harley mechanic today who owns his own shop. He is suggesting that I bring the bike to have the bearing tightness checked. He said that if the bike's front end is raised off the ground and the steering is aligned straight, and then if the steering is nudged off center, the wheel should slowly fall to one side. It should not immediately flop to the side.

On the Rocker, he said the addition of the 21" wheel should not make any significant diffference in straight line stability at very low speeds, versus stock.

So that you can follow my csalculations, I am using the Advanced Trail Calculator at RB Racing http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/rakeandtrail.html. I am using 36.5 for rake, 2.4 for offset, 32 for fork length, and 1 for tree rake.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 PM
C. Rocker
Novice

Joe What , I am totally into the stretched look of your bike. That is the attitude that I am after. The rake and front wheel are perfect, IMHO.

Old 01-22-2011, 07:26 PM
C. Rocker
Novice

LazyBoy09, glad to hear you bring up the bearing issue. That lends creedance to what the mechanic said today. Really appreciate your advice, and will let you know what we come up with.

Quick Reply: Rocker Fork Trees