Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LED Strip on my Heartland Fender

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:22 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Yo brother!

After going with the Heartland/side mount set-up and having my wife tell me that she couldn't tell when I was braking (with just the sidemount brake light), I decided I had to go with more braking illumination.

I talked it over with my wrencher and had the same exact idea you did. Only issue was, with the bike now pretty slammed (OW my a**!), the clearance was an issue. So we wound up going with 2 5" LED strips on the upper swingarm. Bright as HELL and totally visible from behind.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JakesDad1
I am in the process of creating what you have described. I created a bracket that will sit horizontally on the top of the fender. The LED run/brake light I have scrolls back and forth in the run mode, and then goes bright when the brakes are hit. Probably not as cool as you're looking for, but mine will sit just behind the sissy bar. I'll be posting pictures as soon as I get the bike painted and put back together.
That is going to look good but I want something hidden and very clean. I have no doubt yours will look killer.
Originally Posted by JY Kelly
Yo brother!

After going with the Heartland/side mount set-up and having my wife tell me that she couldn't tell when I was braking (with just the sidemount brake light), I decided I had to go with more braking illumination.

I talked it over with my wrencher and had the same exact idea you did. Only issue was, with the bike now pretty slammed (OW my a**!), the clearance was an issue. So we wound up going with 2 5" LED strips on the upper swingarm. Bright as HELL and totally visible from behind.
I am going to order on LED strip and see what I can do with it. I have the bike back on the ground and I was thinking the swingarm to but if it is not clean looking I will have to figure something out.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Well, mine are held on with silicone and I will be painting it gloss black to match the frame. The wires are totally hidden. I doubt anyone who wasn't looking for it would even notice them.

I have an iPhone video clip of them but can't upload them for some reason.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:47 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior

When you can snap a picture or video slap it on up for me and everyone else ..... use photobucket for pictures and videos.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:13 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Here's what I did. I slotted the bottom of my PM fender. Then we sliced a piece of 304SS 1/2 tubing. Then welded it into the slot which we made just so the light would fit in it's own little compartment. Drilled 2 holes for drainage and wiring then epoxied the light in place.

The only down side to the whole thing is if you blow some LED's in the light then you take the chance in pulling paint off when prying the light back out to replace. And wouldn't you know after 3 years I blew enough of them and had to replace the light as we speak and yep, paint came off when I removed the light. No biggy as I was already planning on re-shooting it anyway.

I used the Custom Dynamics Flex Array piece which was custom ordered.

Here's a video I shot when I first installed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSo8ufvU_4

Old 02-16-2011, 11:38 AM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Tip-

How, exactly, did you slot the fender?

Old 02-16-2011, 11:49 AM
TIPN8R
Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JY Kelly
Tip-

How, exactly, did you slot the fender?
Marked it out exactly where I wanted it. Then we sliced it using a typical grinder with cut off wheel on it. Sliced it, then right after welded the tube in. Then we finished opening up the hole so that it was smooth and flush. Then trimmed some excess metal and used a little putty to get it smooth.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:18 PM
saintslax11
Road Warrior

TIP when I was thinking of doing this you are the first I thought of because I remembered yours. I am on a budget build and I can not cut and repaint anything. I thought about the swing arm and could get them painted black and clear coated like I am doing to my headlights.

Old 02-16-2011, 01:20 PM
JakesDad1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TIPN8R
VERY cool!

Old 02-16-2011, 01:33 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter

Thanks for the tip, Tip. lol

I'd like to try that but I'm not sure my Heartland fender is thick enough to totally entrench the array. Your fender looks quite thick ("That's what she said").

I'll chat with my wrencher about it.

Quick Reply: LED Strip on my Heartland Fender