Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sputter and spitting when given gas

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 07:36 PM
frogg
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Sputter and spitting when given gas

I know do a search!
I did.
Ok the other day went for a ride, Bike ran Great until I stopped for Coffee,
Started up Idled Fine, pulled out on road, gave her throttle Spit and sputter, ran like crap, but never died. Limped home every-time I gave her a-bit of throttle Spit&Sputter/crap.

Ok Now what I have done and found;

Runs the same with ECM and Power Commander.
No Codes.
Idles fine. Starts up good.
Battery OK (also checked connections - OK)
Plugs Gap 38

Plug wire;
front- resistance reading 5000 (4750 - 11230) within limits
rear- resistance reading 1600 (1812 -4374) lower than limits

Tested Crank Position sensor showing 7 -8 VA/C
should be 1 - 5 VA/C

My Question I guess is would either the rear plug wire with the lower resistance
or the CKP with higher reading cause my problem?
I'm at a loss
Any other Comments on what it might be?

Old 02-21-2011, 08:00 PM
mike 09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Im not an ae mechanic but I would guess the crank sensor. Mike

Old 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM
RocketRocker
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This happened to a buddy of mine so he removed the PC and problem went away.

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

So this is on an '07 springer?

Sputters when you are giving it gas... too much gas or not enough burn which can mean spark or air I would think. Borrow a buddy's spark plug wire. If it reads the same, take a look at the coil. If you have a shop manual I believe you can test the coil with a meter for resistance... I don't remember, but I was able to test mine with a multimeter so it's not complicated.

I haven't seen this problem described on an F.I. bike, so it is somewhat unique. I presume that you checked for codes...

It can't be a CPS that is causing the variation in the spark plug wire... unless it varied from side to side, maybe. If it's consistent on one cylinder, that will be helpful in tracing it down... and eliminating the piggyback ECM was the right thing to check first, I think.

Just remember... SFAKISS... Spark, Fuel, Air... keep it simple, stupie... so don't go chasing big ideas until you eliminate the simple and cheap ones. Have the patience to do tests...

Electrical problems on FI Harleys are the most ignored and problematic issue you can encounter I think. No one can chase them down properly because they aren't allowed to own a break out box so you get to do a wiggle test... brain dead gobbledygook from HD.

It's like they are the big gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about... especially if they work for HD or a dealer.

Keep reporting back on your progress... someone might have encountered something similar and good luck.

C#

Old 02-21-2011, 10:07 PM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My bike did that, the indy messed with it for two days, turned out one of the plugs was busted in the middle. The anode? was broken in half under the ceramic, just looking at it it looked fine but when you accelerated it broke up and ran like ****.

Old 02-21-2011, 11:32 PM
frogg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by RocketRocker
This happened to a buddy of mine so he removed the PC and problem went away.
Thanks But tried that already, No Change.

Originally Posted by cwsharp
So this is on an '07 springer?

Sputters when you are giving it gas... too much gas or not enough burn which can mean spark or air I would think. Borrow a buddy's spark plug wire. If it reads the same, take a look at the coil. If you have a shop manual I believe you can test the coil with a meter for resistance... I don't remember, but I was able to test mine with a multimeter so it's not complicated.

I haven't seen this problem described on an F.I. bike, so it is somewhat unique. I presume that you checked for codes...

It can't be a CPS that is causing the variation in the spark plug wire... unless it varied from side to side, maybe. If it's consistent on one cylinder, that will be helpful in tracing it down... and eliminating the piggyback ECM was the right thing to check first, I think.

Just remember... SFAKISS... Spark, Fuel, Air... keep it simple, stupie... so don't go chasing big ideas until you eliminate the simple and cheap ones. Have the patience to do tests...

Electrical problems on FI Harleys are the most ignored and problematic issue you can encounter I think. No one can chase them down properly because they aren't allowed to own a break out box so you get to do a wiggle test... brain dead gobbledygook from HD.

It's like they are the big gorilla in the room that no one wants to talk about... especially if they work for HD or a dealer.

Keep reporting back on your progress... someone might have encountered something similar and good luck.

C#
Yes '07 Springer
No Codes.
Never forgot SFAKISS.
looking for test on EFI Coil not sure if it's the same as for Carbed coils?
Going to try Differant Spark wire Tomorrow, along with wiggle test on all wiring harnesses I can see.

Originally Posted by Dixie Dreg
My bike did that, the indy messed with it for two days, turned out one of the plugs was busted in the middle. The anode? was broken in half under the ceramic, just looking at it it looked fine but when you accelerated it broke up and ran like ****.
Had that happen to me some years back, completely forgot about it..
Thanks for the Brain wake-up.
Try replacing plugs tomorrow also.

I'll Keep you'll Posted.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
frogg
Road Warrior

Was unable to work on the bike today, To many Honey-Do's.

Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by frogg
Thanks But tried that already, No Change.

Yes '07 Springer
No Codes.
Never forgot SFAKISS.
looking for test on EFI Coil not sure if it's the same as for Carbed coils?
Going to try Differant Spark wire Tomorrow, along with wiggle test on all wiring harnesses I can see.

Had that happen to me some years back, completely forgot about it..
Thanks for the Brain wake-up.
Try replacing plugs tomorrow also.

I'll Keep you'll Posted.

Hope thats it, that is a cheap fix!

Old 03-09-2011, 07:06 PM
frogg
Road Warrior

Tested the Crank Position Sensor and it Tested OK.
Went under the assumption that "I'll try replacing it and if that ain't it, at least I'll have an extra for when/if it does go out."
Put the new one in started the bike sounded good, but was unable to test ride until today--
WHOAHOOO it was that little sucker ($60.00 and a ton of frustration, but one happy camper now).

I Remember reading some where on the Forum that they can test out OK and still be bad.
A Big Thanks to all
John

Old 03-09-2011, 08:05 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

It is most likely a pinhole in your fuel line from the fuel pump inside the tank. Try filling it full with gas and see if ti still does it.

Drew

Quick Reply: Sputter and spitting when given gas