Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on an expensive custom for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:16 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,640 Likes on 4,631 Posts

can you say scam?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:18 PM
$tock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

God I'm so glad I came here before purchasing. I just realized I do know a great guy who can do the customizations. I can buy a stock Fatboy Lo and have him work on it. I won't be able to ride it off the lot looking like I wanted to, but I'm beginning to understand that it's about the process you go through with your bike that makes you love it. Maybe I will get my hands dirty.

Last edited by $tock; 03-16-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:21 PM
caletcb
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ill sell you mine

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member

+1 bro...buy it and do it yourself...dont be a stranger and if you got a?...post up thats wut wur here for...you will be happy when you get a mod done by yourself....and it will be YOUR BIKE....

Old 03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
j1mmy
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a nice custom i would value at 12-15k tops..a quarter of the starting bid..a custom isnt a HD its a pieced togeather chopper..nothing will fit it,it wont ride good,75%of custom paintjobs are not half the quality of factory paint,scratch or chip easier..but they look good??when i was working at a bike shop,i could of bought complete new kits like that with a 110ci engine and 6 speed trans for 10k.the chopper craze died a few years ago..a bike like that is hard to sell cheap

Old 03-16-2011, 10:24 PM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also, the more I ride, I find exactly what mods I really need/want. And some that I thought really sounded good, now are not such a good idea.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 PM
$tock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deadwood Dick
When someone spends that kind of money, they had a vision of what exactly they wanted. Myself, I look at it as it's a really nice bike, but it's not *my* vision. Most of the custom add-ons don't add to the resale value, with the 105" engine being the main attraction. Some of that money spent was for labor which generally adds nothing to the resale.

Case in point. A friend was selling an '05 Fatboy that he put in about $37k total. I know that is true, he has more money than brains. Some of the mods I liked, some I could take it or leave, and the rest I didn't care for. A year ago, out of the goodness of his heart, he offered it to me only for $17k. To this day, it's still sitting in his garage with a price tag of $14k. After all was said and done, it was still a 6 year old bike with a few nice additions. I ended up with a newer bike for $11k, that appealed to me with a few mods that I really liked, and room to add mods that really mean something to me.
Ah, ok now that makes sense. HDs hold their stock value, but customizations really narrow your resale market.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tock
God I'm so glad I came here before purchasing. I just realized I do know a great guy who can do the customizations. I can buy a stock Fatboy Lo and have him work on it. I won't be able to ride it off the lot looking like I wanted to, but I'm beginning to understand that's it's about the process you go through with your bike that makes you love it. Maybe I will get my hands dirty.

i still state that you should look into a used bike as your first, but it's your money so no one can tell you what to do with it but you. Whatever you choose, good luck with it

Oh also, periodically check out Sears for their Craftsman Mechanics Toolkit sales.. i got my dad a 260 piece kit at Christmas for $185, and with the exception of a breaker bar, it's had every single piece i've needed to work on my bike..both standard and metric. Also comes in a nice little case that keeps everything organized.. just something to think about if you want to get your hands dirty.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:36 PM
$tock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by j1mmy
a nice custom i would value at 12-15k tops..a quarter of the starting bid..a custom isnt a HD its a pieced togeather chopper..nothing will fit it,it wont ride good,75%of custom paintjobs are not half the quality of factory paint,scratch or chip easier..but they look good??when i was working at a bike shop,i could of bought complete new kits like that with a 110ci engine and 6 speed trans for 10k.the chopper craze died a few years ago..a bike like that is hard to sell cheap
So you wouldn't use Heartland kits to customize? Are you saying to stay strictly with HD parts?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice looking bike. He might have that much into if the indy shop that built it for him ripped him off.

In the late 80s I think it was Bartels HD was selling basically stock harleys with OEM parts sent out to be chromed and custom paint for $70K. People with more money than sense showed them there was a market for just about whatever they wanted for them.

Alot of what that guy has added to that bike is aftermarket. I think you'd need to find an indy shop to recreate the look if that's the look you want.

Quick Reply: Advice on an expensive custom for sale