Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on an expensive custom for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:33 PM
$tock
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Advice on an expensive custom for sale

Hello Forum
This is my first post and I'm about to become a member of the HD family. I get my license in April and I'm excited to purchase my first bike.

I've learned a lot about HD speaking to the local dealer. He, of course, wants me to purchase new from him, but I keep seeing customs that turn my head so fast I got whiplash.

I'm set on the Softail Fatboy. I came across a sweet looking 2007 custom build by a husband/wife team in Puerto Rico. I've spoken directly to the owner but his English is really broken and it's difficult to get all my questions answered.

Here is the bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/custo...a965d741#v4-42

He says they put in over $73K over three years.

My two questions:

Do you see that MUCH cash in that bike?
What would you value it at?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

for $42,000+ I buy a new one and do my own custom build. (Also, you don't indicate where you are, but shipping might be costly too!)

My 2 cents

Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 PM
Deadwood Dick
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I spent a year checking out prices on used HD's, mostly Fatboys. Very nice bike, but it won't sell for over $20,000.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Takes the fun out of building your own....

Old 03-16-2011, 09:44 PM
$tock
Intermediate

Thanks Rakthi

He's set the minimum reserve at even more that $42.

Can I take pics of that bike to an HD dealer and have them build the custom to match (almost)? Or do I have to find a shop that specializes in HD customs? If it's the latter then that's more work for me, finding a shop that can do it.

JPL and Deadwood Dick - appreciate your advice.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:48 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my honest opinion.. why would you want a fully pre-customed bike anyways? Part of the joy of 1) having a Harley, and 2) Being on these forums is getting ideas to make your bike, Yours.

Looking at that picture, with the exception of maybe the engine, oil tank, and the front part of the frame, nothing on that really screams "Harley" anymore.. might as well look up eXiled cycles and buy a $35,000 custom motorcycle and save yourself the trouble of getting it from Puerto Rico.

And just my honest opinion again, something to think about.. but this is your First bike.. a Fatboy is something fairly large to learn how to ride on.. i started on a Sportster just to learn the feelings of the road and dealing with traffic and other a-holes on that road and anything that might come up.. even then switching to a Fatboy was a completely game changing experience..

If this is your first bike, the best thing to do is find something used, something reliable, and something inexpensive (as motorcycles go).. learn the road, then build your own.

again, just my 2 pennies.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:49 PM
$tock
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Deadwood Dick
I spent a year checking out prices on used HD's, mostly Fatboys. Very nice bike, but it won't sell for over $20,000.

Educate me. Why won't it sell for over $20K? Is there a ceiling you hit when you build customs? That ceiling being - if you customize the bike too much you appeal to a smaller number of buyers???

Old 03-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

I'd get some experience before throwing out that kind of dough for a bike... just sayin'

that is one bad azz bike ! I was happy with my first bike, a Yamaha 250 trials

toastman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

**** man for 42k you can build two bikes from the frame up.

f*ckin guy should forget about selling it at that ridiculous price and put a few miles on it.

CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with everybody else, buy your own, and do the mods yourself. Instead of buying somebody elses dream. Build your own dream, you will like it more at the end of the day.
2 cents

Quick Reply: Advice on an expensive custom for sale