Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive Drop In Kit Install - Step By Step

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 06:59 PM
cbr310
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty new to harleys here. I bought a 03 night train(midlife crisis quick buy) and am now reallizing that theres alot of aftermarket parts on the thing I didnt know. My question is this. I got a set of lowering rear shocks with the bike when i got it. I put them in and it dropped the rear 2in. How can I tell without ripping apart the front If I have a lowering kit in there? I already purchased the drop in kit. Any info would be great thanks all. Btw thanks for the info was scared to do it myself but think i will now. Guessing you left the forks in the lower triple?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:04 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Nice job,now you need the 422's to go with them,did you have to change the k stand?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:14 PM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master

Originally Posted by cbr310
pretty new to harleys here. I bought a 03 night train(midlife crisis quick buy) and am now reallizing that theres alot of aftermarket parts on the thing i didnt know. My question is this. I got a set of lowering rear shocks with the bike when i got it. I put them in and it dropped the rear 2in. How can i tell without ripping apart the front if i have a lowering kit in there? I already purchased the drop in kit. Any info would be great thanks all. Btw thanks for the info was scared to do it myself but think i will now. Guessing you left the forks in the lower triple?

just undo one of the caps and look in ,if you see a white spacer.it has been,or measure the space between the fork boot and the triple trees,from the pic its hard to tell,look at my front end ,its lowered 2 inches

Old 03-17-2011, 08:12 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RICHIEMACK
Nice job,now you need the 422's to go with them,did you have to change the k stand?
Pretty well set in the rear. Got a shotgun shock keeping things comfy. I got the hd short stand for piece of mind. 1" shorter than stock.

Drew, I wasn't looking for handling improvement, but I noticed a measurable difference.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:37 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
It's a much easier install on an FX front end as well. It really is a "drop in install" for your bike JY Kelley. I am a alittle concerned about how the bike is going to handle and if i am going to be scraping parts a lot easier like my floorboards, but I finally decided to go for it.

The intiminators are supposed to drastically improve the handling.

Drew

Thats not exactly true... The FX frontend and the FL is almost the same minus the tins... you still gotta drop the tubes down to access the springs.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:40 PM
NightTrainRob
Tourer

Ok, I've got a drop in kit that I'm about to finally put in before I finish installing my apes, but the instructions say the spacer for a fx is 4.5...is that for 1" or what? how long of a spacer equals 1", how much does it change cutting .25 off the spacer?

Old 03-17-2011, 08:46 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by NightTrainRob
Ok, I've got a drop in kit that I'm about to finally put in before I finish installing my apes, but the instructions say the spacer for a fx is 4.5...is that for 1" or what? how long of a spacer equals 1", how much does it change cutting .25 off the spacer?
i really struggled with this. I cut mine to 3" b/c that was what the instructions said for an FL bike. The 3" = 2" drop. I assume the reccomended lengths are for a 2" drop, so you increase or decrease based on your desired height. A longer spacer = less drop.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:19 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks story. i was under the impression that you could just pop the cap on the FX forks and drop the springs in. this whole drop in marketing ploy by progressive has my head spinning. It seems that there is nothing drop in about these springs.

Drew

Old 03-17-2011, 10:33 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah it's kinda funny the only ones that will drop in without at the very least dropping the tubes are Dyna's and Sporty's since they go all the way through the trees. So us with the FX's feel your pain to brah... lol

Old 03-17-2011, 11:33 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member

They should be called "Drop In - after removing a bunch of crap and popping open the fork tubes". The add reads that its a 30 minute job. No for me!

Quick Reply: Progressive Drop In Kit Install - Step By Step