Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats a good price and hrs...

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:47 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aw snap
ok, so the local hd dealer got my bike in by quoting me 4 hours of labor. I got the call today saying the bike is in pieces and they need to take the tanks and pipes off to complete the job, they now need 8 hours... Chaching 800 bucks. I would have done it myself if it was going to cost that much.
tell them they are retarded and to canel the job then, the tank is only a couple of plugs and 3 bolts, your pipes are the same probably 6 bolts if they need 4 hours to take 9 bolts out they shouldnt be working on your bike bro.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBBEREVO88
I had to remove my tank and pipes guys thats why it took 4 hrs. If i had one of the new bikes with the plug n play crap it would probably only take maybe 2 1/2 hrs
Yeah unless you have an exhaust that allows you to take the clutch cover off, you will be removing the exhaust. All I meant was its not too difficult even for a beginner or weekend mechanic, not for what the stealership will charge anyway. There is plenty of info on HDforums and the service manual to get the novice through it. Plus its a great feeling when its done and you did the work yourself.

Old 04-13-2011, 03:55 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AW SNAP
OK, so the local HD Dealer got my bike in by quoting me 4 hours of labor. I got the call today saying the bike is in pieces and they need to take the tanks and pipes off to complete the job, they now need 8 hours... ChaChing 800 bucks. I would have done it myself if It was going to cost that much.
AW SNAP, If those idiots didnt figure on taking the tank off in the first place they shouldnt be working on your bike! Under the tank is where the plugs for the wiring. Also I didnt have to take my pipes off to put the clutch cable on. It was a little tight but not impossible. It took me 4Hrs to install complete. That is the reason I do the work my self. Good luck.
Stone

Old 04-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Mr_B
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealer quoted me 4 hours. I did it in 3.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:21 PM
Lawleywood
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by t stone
AW SNAP, If those idiots didnt figure on taking the tank off in the first place they shouldnt be working on your bike! Under the tank is where the plugs for the wiring. Also I didnt have to take my pipes off to put the clutch cable on. It was a little tight but not impossible. It took me 4Hrs to install complete. That is the reason I do the work my self. Good luck.
Stone
You do not have to remove the tank to get to those connectors. If you remove the seat, tank bolts, and the console, you can then undo the quick release fuel line at the left rear of the tank. Once all that is done you can slide the tank back plenty far enough to access the connectors. Taking the tank off is much more work than needed. Even the service manual does not instruct you to remove the tank.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
AW SNAP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, They made thier money this time but the first upgrade they did ended up costing me more then double what I budgeted for. Shame on them, next time it goes to an indy or I pay someone to do it in my garage. My list of upgrades grows everyday I spend on this forum. They will not get my future upgrades.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 PM
t stone
Road Master
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawleywood
You do not have to remove the tank to get to those connectors. If you remove the seat, tank bolts, and the console, you can then undo the quick release fuel line at the left rear of the tank. Once all that is done you can slide the tank back plenty far enough to access the connectors. Taking the tank off is much more work than needed. Even the service manual does not instruct you to remove the tank.
lawleywood, Maybe its not neccessary to pull the tank but its definatly easier to deal with the throttle cable and the wiring. Even so HD is f***ed if they are trying to charge for 8 hrs.
Stone

Old 04-13-2011, 10:03 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need to pull the tank off on the newer bikes but i belive its 07 and below you do

Old 04-13-2011, 11:20 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AW SNAP
OK, so the local HD Dealer got my bike in by quoting me 4 hours of labor. I got the call today saying the bike is in pieces and they need to take the tanks and pipes off to complete the job, they now need 8 hours... ChaChing 800 bucks. I would have done it myself if It was going to cost that much.
When a dealer quotes you a price to do a job that's what they get for doing that job. The only time you should be charged extra is if they run into a "different" issue that was not originally in the quote. Like, while doing the bar change they run across a leaking fork seal or your brakes are worn out. At that time they should call you and state what the new issue is and what it will take to fix it. No way...I repeat...NO WAY should a dealer quote you 4 hrs for a bar change and then say we need 8 hrs because there are extra parts that need to be taken off. Seriously...they didn't know what it takes to do a bar change? Was this the first one they had done?
You need to be speaking to someone "up" in the chain of command. I try to never say "never" but I can't imagine me paying them 4 more hrs under the stated circumstances.