Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust swap. What do you do with the valve?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
Your not confussed, Euro bikes have a valve. Domestic bikes do not and that is why everyone is confussed.
Yep, the European models have an exhaust valve that is the exhaust that opens and closes with engine rpm and load. More of that emission stuff.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:33 PM
xkvator
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Yep, the European models have an exhaust valve that is the exhaust that opens and closes with engine rpm and load. More of that emission stuff.
yep...not on USA bikes...

i changed exhaust on my 08 Crossbones, and remember seeing something about it...maybe on an instruction sheet...

Old 06-03-2011, 06:34 PM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah Perki48. I live in Norway, and it sure was a valve. Just checked it to be sure. So do I need a disabler for this?

Old 06-03-2011, 06:35 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

PS! Both my manual and my exhaust was ordered from the US, so no wonder it doesn't say anything about it...

Old 06-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

You have to ask the dealer to disable the valve - leaving it open at all time - and then you can take it all of. Savea at least .5 kg of dead weight. If dealer foes not want to do this because of legal implications, you can buy a plug that you can use to trick ECM into thinking valve is still there. Not at computer now, but will see if I can find the links to the places that sell them later. If dealer disables the valbe, you will need to order a cap for the wiring.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

You have a valve in your airfilter also, have that disabled as well, in case you want to get new one later.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

Yeah. Already got a new filter laying around. Was planning on changing this myself after the weekend. Guess I have to call the dealer tomorrow and let them handle it. Hmpf.. Didn't think it would be this much hassle to change the exhaust.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 PM
sober
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easy fix: remove the cables from the valve. Leave the motor plugged in. The valve SHOULD have a spring that opens it when the cables come off. Leave the actuator motor plugged into its harness connector. You wont have a warnkng light.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Problem is that the motor is attached to the plate that holds the stock exhaust. So when putting on new exhaust you toss that plate ... So no room to attach actuator.... And its no big deal at all to de activate the valbve. You will also need a dustcap to protect the plug after removing all the stuff otherwise you might get electrical problems.!!!

Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 PM
JayOhh
Tourer

Ok. Thanks. Just gonna have to call the dealer tomorrow. Problem is it's 300km and a ferry-ride away. Guess I just have to throw the bike and the new exhaust in the van and get over there as soon as possible....

Quick Reply: Exhaust swap. What do you do with the valve?