Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always check your pulley bolts! A freidnly reminder

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 10:11 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok, so here is my question. Like I mentioned before, I purchased Diamond Engineering 12 point stainless steel pulley bolts. 180,000 PSI tensil strength. Do, i just need to go buy some grade 8 or 5 regular steel bolts from ACE? First time that Im goin to be replacing my pulley. I know the Torque rating is 55-65lbs. But if I dont have the correct bolts then what the hell do I do? LOL Ive asked some people on here about the polished bolts from Diamond engineering, and some people swear by them. Some people say they are more brittle and prone to shearing. JUST TELL ME WHAT I NEED TO BUY PLEASE!!!!! lol I plan on putting everything on this coming weekend. I can always put chrome covers on the regular bolts or paint them black.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:19 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

when i powdered my pulley ,changed bolts to new oem harley, threw the old ones in the garbage can, glad your ok dude , ive read more threads on here from crashing
because of those pulley bolts.BTW i put chrome caps over em, harleys oem bolts are like 20 bucks or less

Old 07-10-2011, 10:28 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by anubisss
I almost fell victim to sheared rear pulley bolts today, but I noticed a strange noise as I was getting off the freeway and pulled over to investigate. All 5 of my pulley bolts had broken loose. 1 was out enough that it was hitting the inside of my swing arm while the rest were about halfway out.

The chrome bolts I had were a 3/8" allen which I did not have but one of my buddies did. Yes, I used red loctite when isntalling teh pulley originally but had neglected to chekthe bolts since then. This is the first time I have ever had an issue like this.

I tightened up 4 of the bolts. The 5th would not thread in all the way with the wheel on the bike. I babied the bike home at about 30 mph stopping every several miles to check the bolts.

I ran a tap through the threads in the 5th hold and all is well. Just gummed up with loctite. I went adn got some grade 8 bolts and used more red loctite than I did last time. Hopefully it holds this time but I know the check it more often as well.

I feel lucky that a disaster was averted. Oh yeah, I installed the pulley and everything as well so there is no one to blame but myself.

Drew
you switched to grade 8 bolts, do you know what the grade of the bolt you had was? or the grade of the HD OEM pulley bolts?

Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 07-10-2011, 10:31 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I do not know what grade the chrome bolts I had were, but I do know I was not reusing them. I do not know what grade the HD ones are either. But I ran chrome Harley bolts on my last set of rims and never had an issue either so it really seems like a crapshoot.

Drew

Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

CountryDeluxe, I really don't know what to tell you at this point. I don't mean to distill fear in people, but I'd rather help than not.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:25 AM
elektrik85
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same thing happened to me last week drew...I was pulling out of my garage when I heard a clunk clunk and noticed all five bolts had come out. I was able to thread them out with my hand. I had installed the new pulley a week earlier myself...no loctite...oooopppsss.....Good learning experience but glad I caught it...I did not know loctite does not adhere as well to chrome bolts. I put on blue this time so will see how it goes. Good idea to check them before any ride...Ride safe!!

Old 07-11-2011, 11:16 AM
mmacfn
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow scary!

Glad yer ok drew!

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM
meatsack
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong...I thought anytime you remove the pulley bolts...you have to replace them. They are a one use deal. Also, unless I am mistaken, they are designed to shear...using grade 8 will not allow that to happen.

Old 07-11-2011, 01:17 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I changed out the stock wheels for the HD chrome ones, new sprocket and rotor bolts were installed. Red loctite on the sprocket bolts and blue on the rotor bolts.
The bike sat over night since loctite recommends giving the loctite a chance to set up before use.

I installed the chrome bolts from HD and I'm not worried about failure of the bolts.
Washing and polishing the bike after is when any loose bolts or parts should be caught before they cause a problem.

Quick Reply: Always check your pulley bolts! A freidnly reminder