Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Always check your pulley bolts! A freidnly reminder

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 01:47 PM
HDUK
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mate of mine had the same issue he had removed the wheel and pulley on his Deuce to do some work on it we was riding through Ireland on our way to Killarney and one of the bolts came out and caught the swinging arm he was lucky to keep it up and he had used red loctite as well

Old 07-11-2011, 02:17 PM
NCTURBOS
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

ARP 12-pt stainless in my pulley, ever since I did the chain conversion.

K.

Old 07-11-2011, 02:42 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,757 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Hate to sound stupid, but where exactly are the pulley bolts located? I drive down a real rough road to get to the highway and this is something I've been worrying about when I hit the interstate, that the vibration will work some important bolts loose. Now I'm even more worried...

Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The pulley bolts are a one use item. Mine were brand new. But I replaced them.

The pulley bolts hold the pulley top the rear wheel.

Drew

Old 07-11-2011, 02:59 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I might be missing something here but honestly, I don't see this one as all that dangerous. If the bolts all come off, or even sheer as designed, the pulley will spin completely disconnected from the rear rim, perhaps toss the belt which could be ugly but it also is designed to shred in that condition. So besides an immediate and complete loss of power, the only thing I can see as "dangerous" is a part of the belt or a bolt getting lodged somewhere it doesn't belong.

Don't get me wrong, I never, ever, want anything falling off of my scoot on the highway or backroads, but juxtaposed against an axle coming loose or riser bolts breaking, I would say this one is preferred.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've seen them seize the rear wheel up and cause crashes, plus it mangles the hell outta the *** end of the bike (swingarm etc).

I mark my bolts with paitn so I can tell if they've moved at a glance. On the race bikes I would safety wire but that's overkill for road bikes. Red lock tite with new bolts, clean threads and a dab of paint on each.

Old 07-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Scheers44
Stellar HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had this happen to me also. I took them into the dealer and laid em on the parts counter asked if they'd warranty em. Parts guy almost chit.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
CountryD
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, Im not gettin scared drew, Just dont want to spend all this cheddar on my sled and tear it all to hell because of BOLT failure. The ones I got (Diamond Engineering) 12 point bolts are rated at 180,000PSI. Grade 8's are 115,000 - 140,000, I talked to the owner of DE today and he told me that he sponsors Harley Drag bikes that you these, so it may be overkill to use these, but they are made for a harley pulley. Gonna use some loctite and go with them. I will put a little paint on each one and check them before each ride.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:41 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryDeluxe
Yeah, Im not gettin scared drew, Just dont want to spend all this cheddar on my sled and tear it all to hell because of BOLT failure. The ones I got (Diamond Engineering) 12 point bolts are rated at 180,000PSI. Grade 8's are 115,000 - 140,000, I talked to the owner of DE today and he told me that he sponsors Harley Drag bikes that you these, so it may be overkill to use these, but they are made for a harley pulley. Gonna use some loctite and go with them. I will put a little paint on each one and check them before each ride.
I'm sure you will be fine. It's always me that has these issues. Just glad I caught it before it was too late.

Drew

Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Mr. Wannabe
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CountryDeluxe
Now alls ya gotta worry about is your output shaft pulley nut coming loose and mangling the splines. Had this happen as well. Luckily the splines on the pulley are softer than the shaft splines so a tranny rebuild wasn't necessary. Red lock-tite is your friend. Most folks don't ride hard enough to have these issues but I tend to leave rubber more often than I should.

Quick Reply: Always check your pulley bolts! A freidnly reminder