Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Pipes, Do I need a new air cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:52 PM
dortiz
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Pipes, Do I need a new air cleaner

Just about time to finalize my Blackline and the dealer went through my list and their suggestions.
They have the V&H Pipes I want, PC Fuel mngt and Stage 1 but did not list a different air filter.
Thoughts? Should I spend more on upgrading this or will the stock one work fine?

Old 07-18-2011, 02:54 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

geta factory K&N replacement, just a thought...

Old 07-18-2011, 03:20 PM
cryan9
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dortiz
Just about time to finalize my Blackline and the dealer went through my list and their suggestions.
They have the V&H Pipes I want, PC Fuel mngt and Stage 1 but did not list a different air filter.
Thoughts? Should I spend more on upgrading this or will the stock one work fine?
The Stage 1 is the different Air Filter. It is the Screamin Eagle Stage 1 Air Cleaner Assembly.

Old 07-18-2011, 03:26 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Since my air cleaner cover is round they suggested just powder coating it. I like that idea but did not realize they could change the air filter and fit it under the same cover.
So if my work order says Stage 1, it is an upgraded aircleaner just under the existing cover? Am I understanding that right?

Thanks

Last edited by dortiz; 07-18-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:38 PM
cryan9
Road Captain

Since my air cleaner cover is round they suggested just powder coating it. I like that idea but did not realize they could change the air filter and fit it under the same cover.
So if my work order says Stage 1, it is an upgraded aircleaner just under the existing cover? I am understanding that right?

Thanks
In a nutshell, yes!!! The stock air filter is a p.o.s. with a paper filter element. The Stage I comes with a metal backing plate, breather tubes and a high flow dry filter element. Yes you can put the stock cover over it or mount one of the round style harley air cleaner trim covers directly to the filter. This is a Stage I with the skull cover directly on the filter.

Attached Thumbnails New Pipes, Do I need a new air cleaner-0602001209.jpg  
Old 07-18-2011, 03:42 PM
dortiz
Road Captain

Thanks!!

Old 10-26-2011, 10:00 PM
LMAO36
Intermediate

Hey Dortiz! I just registered with the forum and saw that you went through the same choices for bikes I am going through. Don't like the Victory but am not sure about which HD. What made you go with the Blackline and what aftermarket upgrades did you do? I saw the youtube vid and was curious about your footpeg and control options as well as the bars on the Blackline lean to far forward any thoughts?

Old 10-27-2011, 02:28 AM
SoftailBrian
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

I got the Blackline also. Just put V&H Shortshot Staggered on mine, going in for the download in the morning, then bringing bike back home and doing the Stage 1 kit. I'm thinking of powdercoating my cover as well.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:50 AM
dortiz
Road Captain

I chose the Blackline in my signature pics. To me it had the key elements I was looking for. I was between a used Night Train. Wide Glide or this. I really wanted a Softail and 21" wheel, I like the look much better than the little fat and heavy fronts though and a new bike with ABS so that left the Blackline.
What did I do it...sheesh, a lot. I had a vision and decided this was it and I was going to make it the way I wanted so here is what I can remember:
Stage 1. Roland Sands Air Cleaner and V&H Big radius pipes plus a Super Tuner.
Stage 2. Screaming Eagle 255 Cams and Dynod.
Lowered in the rear.
Relocate License Plate and powder coat.
Changed out the Cam Cover for a black one and Powder coated a few pieces.
SMT Machined grips and pegs.
Arlen ness mirrors
HD 4" pull back bars with all new Diamond Braided Lines
Hog Pro Black magic INDY Wheels
Avon Venom Tires
Black grips on the bars for breaks and clutch
Removed V&H Baffles and replaced with Big City Thunder Baffles

Old 10-27-2011, 08:53 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I advise to get a new a/c as well, but it is not NEEDED. Find a nice one you like (they are hundreds available) and get it now.

Drew

Quick Reply: New Pipes, Do I need a new air cleaner