Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some type of luggage, I think.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts
Default I need some type of luggage, I think.

I'm getting this '04 Deuce and I need something so that I can carry stuff on trips and what not, but I don't want anything that's not easily removed, since I like the bare look.

My first trip is to visit a friend about 100 miles away the middle of Sept. That's not a long distance, but I'd need a change of clothes and room for a pair of sneakers. I could toss this all into a back pack, but I'd rather not rely on one of those for future trips.

I'm looking at the left side 5" swing arm bag, but I don't know if that'll be large enough, especially if/when I do a 900 mile trip towards the midwest to visit relatives and the several 100 miles to tennessee and New York state next spring. Is there some comprimise to saddle bags that are easy on/off so that I don't have to have them on my bike when I'm not any real distance? I still want a swingarm bag for the around town stuff.

It has the stock 2 up seat, with no backrest and I may just go with a solo seat eventually. So do I have any real options here?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:22 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I recommend either full size saddlebags or a sissy bar with a t bag on it. I find that when I take trips the solo saddlebag usually just holds tools and stuff. It is better to have more space than you need than need more than you have space for. I avhe foudn the solo saddlebags to be perfect for luch, a jacket and a papers, but that is about it. Shoes take up a lot of space.

Drew

Drew

Old 08-25-2011, 09:39 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've found that the quick disconnect sissy bar with luggage rack is the best way to carry a bunch of ****. I have the HD "overnight" round bag, and a Kuryakyn bag with all kinds of pockets and expansions and stuff. I did need to build an extension for the rack to accommodate the big bag so it didn't droop over the back. Here's a couple pics of the bike loaded before I left on my cross country. I had enough stuff for 23 days on the road, including laptop, extra helmet, tools, rain gear, cold gear, handgun, first aid kit, emergency food and water......and it's all attached to the sissy bar and rack so it actually all comes off with just the flip of the disconnects.

I need some type of luggage, I think.-dscn1084.jpg

I need some type of luggage, I think.-dscn1085.jpg

Old 08-25-2011, 09:43 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Here is my bike loaded down for my last trip to AZ.

Drew

Old 08-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jreichart
I've found that the quick disconnect sissy bar with luggage rack is the best way to carry a bunch of ****. I have the HD "overnight" round bag, and a Kuryakyn bag with all kinds of pockets and expansions and stuff. I did need to build an extension for the rack to accommodate the big bag so it didn't droop over the back. Here's a couple pics of the bike loaded before I left on my cross country. I had enough stuff for 23 days on the road, including laptop, extra helmet, tools, rain gear, cold gear, handgun, first aid kit, emergency food and water......and it's all attached to the sissy bar and rack so it actually all comes off with just the flip of the disconnects.

Attachment 203581

Attachment 203582
My accounts jacked. I can't see images that are attachments.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just getting the HD soft tour bag that strapps to a sissy bar. I travel light though.

Old 08-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

How long does it take to put a set of throw overs on? 10-15 minutes?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by mike06train
I'm just getting the HD soft tour bag that strapps to a sissy bar. I travel light though.
Me too, but the trip to Tennessee will be to hit up the JD distillery and the whiskey trails, so I'm probably going to need some room for...souvenirs...

Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 AM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 08-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 603 Likes on 326 Posts

We make a leather duffle bag that will hold a lot of stuff and the nice thing about it..When you dont need it,it will roll up to about the size of a pair of gloves..
http://www.shop.captain-itch.com/Lea...le-Dry-Bag.htm

Quick Reply: I need some type of luggage, I think.