Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Since Warranty is paying for the bill, Ideas of Upgrades I can do for my engine!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:05 PM
JPL
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Since Warranty is paying for the bill, Ideas of Upgrades I can do for my engine!

Hey everyone,

So I posted earlier how my bike broke down and the dealer was checking it out and they were already hinting at possible troubles with the warranty.
Well I just spoke to the dealer and they did tell me it was a broken oil pump which caused problems.
They also said the warranty will be paying for the bill. Since they are ordering new parts for my engine, I figure I might as well take advantage of the shitty situation and do some upgrades to it.
Now I do not know much about performance mods, so I would like to hear from you guys some recommendations of what could be done.

Thanks!

Old 09-08-2011, 05:06 PM
JPL
Tourer

Ohh and this is all because I bought extended Warranty!
That **** saved my life! (well my wallet!!)

Old 09-08-2011, 05:17 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What all are they replacing? If it is just the oil pump, I would do the cams and bearings, because the cams are pulled to replace the oil pump. If they are going through the topend to use the stock pushrods, for about an 1 hour more labor charges they could replace the jugs and pistons.
If you do either one of those things, you will have to pay for a tuner and tune.
Without knowing what year bike you have it is hard to say anything else.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:36 PM
JPL
Tourer

Alright my bike is a 2009 FatBoy. I am trying to remember what he told me on the phone but was in the middle of work and couldn't speak much. I am going up there Saturday Morning to speak to them. Just wanted to show up with some ideas already and at least start talking how much extra it would cost...
Trying to upload picture but for some reason I havent been able to upload a picture in a long time....

Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM
JPL
Tourer

I have a power commander on it... Would it be necessary to get a tune and the auto tuner for the power commader if I decided to change jugs and pinstons? Or one or the other?

Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Yes, you will need a new tune or an auto tuner for jugs and pistons. My advice is to have them do a big bore kit and cams. You have choices. FuelMoto 107" kit is aht I would do. It's $1299 for all the parts I am not sure if it comes with cams, but I think it does. Jsut talk them in to tearing it all apart as you need to amke sure you don't have any further issues down the road with the bike. Since warranty is paying I don't see them having a problem with this. Here is info on the FM 107 kit.
http://www.fuelmotousa.com/107kit.htm

Drew

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the fuelmoto kit would be a better choice, but the dealer will not warranty any parts that are not HD. Therefore, you would not longer have a warranty on engine, if the oil pump went bad again. I would do the bigbore kit, but an HD kit.
The choice is truly based on risk, and your pocket book.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:23 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had Crane 310-2 cams installed, the heads ported and decked .036, adjustable pushrods and valve springs done when I had the '05 valve seal issue repaired. Cost me about $1000 for the parts and machining labor, but totally woke her up. Dyno'd at 89hp 94tq.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Cams and a tune will wake the bike up nicely. You mentioned having a power commander - so you also have a hi flow a/c and pipes?

Old 09-09-2011, 10:03 AM
JPL
Tourer

Yes I have Big Long Shot V&H and the A/C from Fuel moto

Quick Reply: Since Warranty is paying for the bill, Ideas of Upgrades I can do for my engine!