Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shotgun-Fatboy Lo-Transmission drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:43 AM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Shotgun-Fatboy Lo-Transmission drain

I have a 2010 Fatboy Lo with Shotgun shocks which were installed by JD. I now need to drain the transmission and need help on how this is done, step by step procedure would be great. I have a Sears yellow floor jack and a car jack, if needed. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Fireman1501
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a 3/4" socket. There are two bolts that face the front of the bike that need to be taken out. After they are taken out the shocks can swing towards the rear. And of coarse the bike needs to be on the lift.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone tried using a vacuum method of removing the old fluid? Could it be done and does it make sense?

Old 11-01-2011, 03:09 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Just remove the front 2 bolts. It see extremely simple.

Drew

Old 11-01-2011, 06:42 PM
Nameless.
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put the car jack under the rear tire

Old 11-01-2011, 07:50 PM
NorCalFBLO
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

For a 2010 Fatboy Lo it's not as simple as just removing the two bolts. For those who have not done it you lift the bike so the rear tire is off the ground, in my case I used a Sears yellow jack. You unscrew the two 3/4" bolts, I used a socket. Place a floor or scissor jack under the rear tire and lift the tire which pulls the shock back so it clears the support bracket on the frame. The shock will swing downward 90 degrees so you can get to the drain plug. After you drain the fluid and replace the drain bolt you lower the tire as you hold the shock up in place and start the screws by hand. I then lower the tire all the way and snugged up the two shock bolts.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:26 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NorCalFBLO
For a 2010 Fatboy Lo it's not as simple as just removing the two bolts. For those who have not done it you lift the bike so the rear tire is off the ground, in my case I used a Sears yellow jack. You unscrew the two 3/4" bolts, I used a socket. Place a floor or scissor jack under the rear tire and lift the tire which pulls the shock back so it clears the support bracket on the frame. The shock will swing downward 90 degrees so you can get to the drain plug. After you drain the fluid and replace the drain bolt you lower the tire as you hold the shock up in place and start the screws by hand. I then lower the tire all the way and snugged up the two shock bolts.
Actually, this is the same for all softials. You need to lift the tire a bit to get the shock to clear the frame boss. I use a cinder block at home and raise and lower the rear tire onto the cinder block by raising and lowering the lift. It is much simpler than it sounds. One day I'll get an additional jack for this purpose but have not needed one yet. LOL..

Drew

Old 11-02-2011, 12:38 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default tranny plug

the suction process seems like a good way to do this, you can pick up a decent one for about 20 to 25 dollars .there are some good marine ones around harbor fright has them. some riders with out a shot gun use this system they are afraid of stripping the plug or cross threading it. If i were running a shotgun i would use the suction process

Old 11-02-2011, 01:08 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll be doing mine for the first time this month. So we'll see how it goes. Should be simple enough.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:35 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Really, it is two bolts. I have been draining my transmission through the transmission drain plug hole for 6 years without issue. You would really have to mess up the threads to strip the aluminum. When the stock shocks are on it is a little more difficult to get the plug back in as the shocks are kind of in the way, but with the Shotgun Shock dropped out of the way you ave full access to the plug with no obstructions at all.

Drew

Quick Reply: Shotgun-Fatboy Lo-Transmission drain