Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Condensation in oil blow by

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oct1949
[/B]

BuLL Chit..... 15k in 16 months it less than 1k a month. so even if U change oil every 3k then it'd be once every 3k months..... How do U have a cold garage then take it out into a Hot, Humid environment.???? sounds like More Bull Chit to me....
#@$%%&!.....If you were paying attention, I ride only 6 to 7 months out of the year. During that time frame, I ride 500 miles to work during the week, not to mention adding weekend runs. So your "theory" of only putting 1k per month on my bike doesn't work in this case. Was I being a bit exaggerated, perhaps. BUT, it IS possible for me to rack up close to 4k in a month. So it IS possible for me to have to change my oil every other week if I did it at 2k like someone suggested.
I became a member to offer and share my experiences and to gain from everyone else's. I don't need to be ridiculed by someone who calls me a bull chitter! I have no explanation as to WHY my garage is colder. Again, it isn't insulated. But there IS a significant difference in temperature. Next year, I will pick up a cheap thermometer and keep it in the garage.

Last edited by Brancajd; 11-22-2011 at 01:34 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:01 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

+ 1 on this.

I had this happen. I was commuting on mine for about 4 months (short commute) I have my air cleaner breather by-passed too. Just a road draft tube basically. One night I started it and it died after about 2 seconds. It was cold and when I re started it it popped back a little and belched out this white sludge from the breather line. It looked like bird **** (from a BIG bird)
So I freaked. I drained the oil. It was clean as a whistle. I ran it for about 100 miles and drained it again. Clean as a whistle. I took all the breather lines, cross-over tube , everything off. I cleaned it all. It was just moisture in the breather hose. Needless to say, while I still commuted, at least once a week, I'd ride for aprox 30 minutes to heat everything up.
I've never seen that crap since.

Originally Posted by Jester750
I had read about this problem before, but I am no certified mechanic.
My brother had this happen on his Dyna.
He found milky oil on the bottom of his dipstick cap and around the hole it goes into but none in the oil.
I told him because he rides to work only a few short miles each day (maybe 10 minutes) the motor oil isn't warming up hot enough from that short ride and not turing that condensation build up into vapor which would be exhausted out the blow by tubes. perhaps that could be your problem.
I suggested that he change the oil and let the bike warm up a little longer each morning and before he returns from work so the oil gets to the right temp. to burn off the condensation that normally accumulates on a cooling motor.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser

My thanks to everyone for their replys. I initially suspected that the vent tube that I made (steel braided hose from Home Depot) may be collecting moisture as the line heats up and cools off, but wanted to get your thoughts as well. I know that the bike was designed to relieve the crankcase pressure by adding the breather bolts in each head. I just don't like the fact that the EPA mandated MOCO to route the oil mist into the intake?!?!?! The last time I checked, it's air/fuel ratio NOT air/fuel/oil mist ratio!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Brancajd
Cruiser
Default Here is a picture of the braided hose...

Condensation in oil blow by-braided-hose-harley.jpg

Old 09-02-2012, 09:50 PM
JimmyZ06
Intermediate

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
+ 1 on this.

I had this happen. I was commuting on mine for about 4 months (short commute) I have my air cleaner breather by-passed too. Just a road draft tube basically. One night I started it and it died after about 2 seconds. It was cold and when I re started it it popped back a little and belched out this white sludge from the breather line. It looked like bird **** (from a BIG bird)
So I freaked. I drained the oil. It was clean as a whistle. I ran it for about 100 miles and drained it again. Clean as a whistle. I took all the breather lines, cross-over tube , everything off. I cleaned it all. It was just moisture in the breather hose. Needless to say, while I still commuted, at least once a week, I'd ride for aprox 30 minutes to heat everything up.
I've never seen that crap since.

How did you set up your bypass if you dont mind me asking.

Thanks, Jim