Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Full Face Helmets on my Heritage

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Gman in NC
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My touring/winter helmet is a Scorpion. Rated very well. Also DOT and SNELL safety ratings. Not too expensive either. Like mine a lot and I ride a Heritage too.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:52 PM
grizzwold
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for a ff helmet I would take a ride to some other BMW or jhap brand dealerships. They usually have a better selection and have no problem with you trying them on and walking around for a little while to really get a feel for what works best for you.

Old 12-11-2011, 01:30 AM
FXDForbes
Tourer

My only tip is that if you have a touring screen and your visor fogs up you have no ventilation to unfog it. I went out in the rain, it fogged up, opened visor to unfog, inside of visor now full of raindrops, when I had to close it there was a lot of extra moister inside the helmet so it fogs up even more.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:12 PM
tmac00333
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,756 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Just my 2 cents but I think full face helmets are more dangerous because visibility is less. Of course, they're better off you crash obviously...

Old 12-12-2011, 06:01 AM
ranger351w
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have no vision probs on my full face, well some. It's all in how you handle it and what you do to help yourself. The new ff is so much better than the old ones. All kinds of vents even if they are marginal in effectiveness.I rode for years with a Vetter ff and learned how to get around some of the fog issues and one of the best ways is to not ride in rain but that said we all know about that huh?

They make anti fog products you can use and you can just crack the visor a little and that will help. That said I ride a Road King so have a windshield as I have since the mid sixty's so I have something to duck behind to help..

I ride in the winter in Iowa so you know I have fog issues but learned to live with it. Headed out as soon as the temp hits 39 or 40 today as a matter of fact. Oh and it is drizzling on and off now ,Oh well I'm out of here.Gotta ride

Not being smart azz or anything just a personal thought on this issue.My 2 cents.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
Don Cronaueri
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dallas Metroplex

I am old enough not to care what other think as well. While I wear a german helmet most of the time, I still like riding to work in winter and lately its been below 40 in the metroplex. Broke out the Full Face last week and had a very comfortable ride. I also have / like the Scorpion 3/4 EXO-100 for winter riding, very warm and relatively inexpensive. All said and done, protect the cranium!

Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
lizdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by grizzwold
for a ff helmet I would take a ride to some other BMW or jhap brand dealerships. They usually have a better selection and have no problem with you trying them on and walking around for a little while to really get a feel for what works best for you.
That is what I did. I got mine from Bob's BMW in columbia, md. The staff their just know more about FF's helmets than a Harley dealerships.

Old 12-12-2011, 01:21 PM
skidd1
6th Gear

I have always used a full face helmet and in my opinion Shoei and Arai are the the best helmets out there.Fit and comfort are the most important so its a matter of simply trying them all.There is a school of thought that you either have an Arai shaped head or a Shoei one
I am fortunate in that both fit me fine.As a general thing the Arai is lighter than the Shoei and can feel a little claustrophobic as they are a tight fit.Once on they are fantastic though.Hardly know they are there
Shoei are a bit more padded,bit warmer when its cold.They are also cheaper.Very difficult to get a discount on a Arai in the UK.Bit easier with a Shoei .The HJC i had was fine at first but after 6 months had "given" quite a bit so was a looser fit.Not good.By contrast my current Shoei (an RF1000) is over 3 years old and still fits like a glove.
The Shoei cost three times as much as the HJC but if you ride every day thats a price i will happily pay.
Shoei and Arai give great after service as well
As for steaming up well they all do that and personally I buy a "fog City"insert.Bout £20.Keeps it clear except in fog!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I rode all weekend with a full face helmet for the first time in many- years. Here are a few thoughts on the differences as opposed to a half helmet. First off I stayed much warmer as I am bald and lose a lot of heart out of my head. It is getting what we consider cold here in SoCal. Secondly, even though the new Arai helmets are made so that you have more peripheral vision than the one I used to have, I really have to crane my neck around to see my blind spot over my shoulder. It was a bit unnerving at first as I have now realized one of the main advantages to a half helmet.

Third off, the full face helmet will seal up nicely keeping the noise to a minimum compared to a half helmet (I always wear earplugs with a half helmet as my hearing is something I hold precious)

The full face is heavier than the half by far but the design is such that it does not feel heavy and it is almost like I have a windshield with this helmet.

I wear glasses and I can wear my regular glasses with the full face without issue. that is not happening with with a half With a half I need to wear my prescription sunglasses which wrap around and keep my eyes free of debris or my clears for night which are not prescription.

So to sum this all up, I like the coverage I get from the full face, especially in the cold, the lessened wind noise, and the ability to wear my regular glasses under it. Obviously it provides much better protection for my noggin as well.

I have had more than my share of accidents that were caused by other people and a always had a full face helmet on for those. Have I been covered to full face only? Not yet but I know I wear a full face for the winter. We'll see what happens once it warms up again.

Helmets are a personal choice and I agree we should be able to choose, but I live in a helmet state and my head is important to me. I almost forgot to say that back in 2005 I suffered a traumatic brain injury consisting of a double hematoma and spent 9 days in a coma (not mc related) waking up to a deeply atrophied body and brealy able to talk. I had to relearn how to do everything adn wish not to experience that ever again.

Drew

Old 12-12-2011, 02:38 PM
97FXSTSB
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 11 Posts

I went through some serious helmet OCD trying to find the perfect half helmet. Realized there is no such thing for me... I wear an HJC FS-10 fullface all the time now. The retractable sunshield is what I like.

Quick Reply: Full Face Helmets on my Heritage