Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my dealer gap my rings... Grrrr!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 10:07 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Lucky you know your stuff, someone like myself would be clueless when it comes to internal engine work. .

Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klf33
Lucky you know your stuff, someone like myself would be clueless when it comes to internal engine work. .
If that comment was for me...
Ha, It's not up and running yet

Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by blksoftail
Seriously?
So just putting them in and taking them right back out will cause stress?
Now on a piston that was used in a running engine I could see this but to just put a piston in a bore and take it right back out I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone else confirm this?
That now means my rings are all in need of replacement???

Oh you mean taken off the piston... Hmmmm great.
Now I either have to trust they did the job correctly or risk my rings...
this bites!
sorry, didn't mean to scare you.
you should be fine as long as the dealership didn't damage them.

just something i heard about not re-using piston rings. as mentioned, it is probably only applicable to rings that were already run. i've also heard others i trust tell me they've re-used rings with no ill effects.

after all, the same thing happens during gapping the rings - rings are installed in cylinder without piston to measure & correct end gap.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:57 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by o/d
sorry, didn't mean to scare you.
you should be fine as long as the dealership didn't damage them.

just something i heard about not re-using piston rings. as mentioned, it is probably only applicable to rings that were already run. i've also heard others i trust tell me they've re-used rings with no ill effects.

after all, the same thing happens during gapping the rings - rings are installed in cylinder without piston to measure & correct end gap.
Thanks! I have a weak heart when it comes to her!

Old 02-03-2012, 12:06 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Originally Posted by blksoftail
I appreciate your advise. I can see the issues with the hose clamp.
I also really don't want to spend $150 for a tool I will never use again.
$150? Where are you looking? 12 bucks for a new one on ebay, including shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-27039-PI...item41616f8a7d

You might be surprised how many times you'll use a "one time" tool in a lifetime; I've really gotten my money's worth out of several "will I ever use it again" tools. I'd never re-use rings, either, too much work to replace to not get maximum mileage out of them. Definitely not if it's on new pistons, or a bored cylinder. Just remember to lube the compressor, too, makes it easier.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:52 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Imold
$150? Where are you looking? 12 bucks for a new one on ebay, including shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-27039-PI...item41616f8a7d

You might be surprised how many times you'll use a "one time" tool in a lifetime; I've really gotten my money's worth out of several "will I ever use it again" tools. I'd never re-use rings, either, too much work to replace to not get maximum mileage out of them. Definitely not if it's on new pistons, or a bored cylinder. Just remember to lube the compressor, too, makes it easier.
Not re-using old rings. These are new rings just gaped on new pistons.
I think what the one poster was saying was once they were put onto a piston don't remove them and then put them back on. This could cause undo stress on them.
I could see this especially using a ring spreader to put them on instead of just walking them on the piston.

The pricey one I mention is the HD tool they use. How hard is the one you show to get off in such a tight space like a harley with the cylinder bolts in the way.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

There is just about nothing worse then going to "professionals" to pay and get something done and they don't know jack shi! and they get it all screwed up and you are worse off after then you were before!

Old 02-03-2012, 03:22 PM
blksoftail
Cruiser

If I had a tool to grind the rings I may attempted it myself. For $50 I figured just let the pros do this part.
I have a friend who is a Harley Mechanic and I knew I should have just made the trip and had him do them.
Oh well. Another lesson!

Old 02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
DEW2112
Cruiser

I put the piston in the cylinder first, then install 2 split rubber hoses cut to a certain length to hold the cylinder at the right height to install the one remaining pin clip.

Attached Thumbnails Had my dealer gap my rings... Grrrr!-100_1465.jpg  
Old 02-03-2012, 07:31 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This is the style ring compressor you need. the kit i bought has lasted me well over 25 yrs. it has a ratchet lock on the handle end so you can lay the piston down and or move it around and the rings won't turn in the grooves. KD tools sells a similar one that is only around 50 bucks.

I've reused many a piston rings over the yrs. not something i like to do, but if the need arises and you use the right tool to remove them, you shouldn't hurt the rings. i was always more concerned about the seal-ability of the used ring.

Quick Reply: Had my dealer gap my rings... Grrrr!